Goat poop question

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by TNP, Oct 30, 2009.

1. TNP

TNP New Member

Sep 26, 2009
    Ok, this is an odd question. My Pygmies are 4 months old. Their poop is usually very round. Tonight both of them have more of an oval pellet shaped poop instead of berries. In fact, when I first saw it, I thought I had a big rat in the barn, but then I watched both of them poop while they ate dinner, and it was definitely them, not a rat. It looks normal otherwise, no clumping or anything and it has a normal consistency, just shaped a little different than usual.

When I cleaned up in the barn earlier today, the poop was the normal round berries. They're on the same food they've always been on, and browsing during the day. The only thing different this week was that they got some Rumatel deworming pellets, but they got that last month too and I didn't notice a difference in shape then, and it's been 5 days ago since the worming, so I would think that would all be pooped out by now. Should I be concerned about the shape?

2. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    No I wouldnt be concerned about the shape -- some have oval some have more round -- sometimes it changes as they eat more or less etc.

3. TNP

TNP New Member

Sep 26, 2009
    Thanks so much, Stacey! :)

4. cdtrum

cdtrum New Member

Aug 25, 2008
    Northern Indiana
    Don't know if age has anything to do with it, but my younger ones have very round berries while my older ones have more football shape :greengrin: !

5. TNP

TNP New Member

Sep 26, 2009
    Yeah, football shape, that's a good description of today's poop. :greengrin:

6. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    Just keep an eye on them....if it starts getting softer/runny.....then... I would get a fecal done on them.....but for now.....they sound OK :wink:

7. greif

greif Member

Nov 3, 2007
    kaukauna, WI
    did you check the taste of it? :leap:

8. TNP

TNP New Member

Sep 26, 2009
    LOL! No, but my dog did. I'll have to ask him about it. :greengrin: