The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

· Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This morning one of my goats poop has turned to solid. It looks like cow or horse poop. It's not the regular pellets. Could this be because I've had to have them in the barn for a week because I was rebuilding there yard and they haven't had all their goodies? Or is this an illness I should be worried about?

Attachments

· Super Moderator
36,683 Posts
Sounds like could be dietary, keep her on a hay only diet and give probios for a few days, see if she don't berry up for you. A fecal would be good to rule out worms

· Banned
5,939 Posts
She's been on solid Bermuda for about two weeks.
I seriously doubt it's the Bermuda. If my experience with Bermuda is any indication, Bermuda doesn't have enough nutritional value to even upset an animals rumen - much less cause diarrhea. I would be more inclined to think the diarrhea is from suddenly cutting off the "goodies" - what do they include and how much?

· Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
It's the jojoba bushes in the yard. Cut a piece down for them to enjoy. The pregnant doe is still having pellet poop. The other is solid and pasty... I was thinking maybe because the pregnant doe requires Bermuda to dry up but goodies too she may not be having a reaction where my older doe might be more sensitive.
Could it be part bloat too?!? And just passing it all? Worried about my poor girls. Love them.

· Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
And the sides are even. I'm going to try probiotics and pepto... Is this safe for the pregnant doe too...?!? I feel like I have to pre treat her to prevent anything...?!? This is a new experience for me so if I'm wrong I get it. All advice welcomed!!!

· Administrator
96,026 Posts
No grain or drastic feed changes, when stool is soft or scouring.

Cut back on their hay a bit and gradually increase as the week goes by.

It is safe to give Pepto, 2x a day, until it is back to normal.

I'd give probiotics and fortified vit b complex shot, both these for 3 days, it will help get her system back on track.

If this doesn't help within a couple of days, I would consider retesting their fecal for worms and cocci. I know you treated them for worms, but sometimes it doesn't work as it should. Did you worm 10 days later when you wormed to get hatching eggs? What did you use and how much was given,was it given orally or injected?

· Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Orally. I used ivermectin and yes, I followed up every 10 days for 3 rounds. Are both Pepto-Bismol and probiotics okay for my pregnant doe… She has started having the same kind of poop as my other do… Which makes me feel better and think it's probably just something they ate instead of one catching a sudden illness…

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.