goat "pre-labor"

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by Nyjah, Jan 27, 2021.

1. Nyjah

Nyjah Active Member

Mar 5, 2017
    My doe is on her third year birthing. The last two were singlets but this year she looks like a beached whale, thus maybe twins?

Her belly has dropped, ligaments are gone, udder has filled partially and is making milk. She is biting at flanks some, getting up and down and a fair amount, yawning and eating and drinking like a pig! She will try to lay down flat but then cant seem to get comfortable so sits up again. Her respiration rate has been quite high-30 at a low to over 80 at a high point per minute, so visible breathing. Peeing and pooping regularly, sometimes maybe straining as she poops.. If you pester her she moves around vigorously but otherwise is kind of ignoring you. The challenge-this has been going on for 2.5 days.

I dont see any mucus, blood or bubbles that usually indicate birth is eminent. I also dont see visible contractions or obvious hard straining of any sort like she is pushing. I did give her a calcium/glycol drench, as well as every 4-5 hours grain covered soaked in honey, vit B shot, and free choice coastal hay (She has had ketosis in a previous pregnancy and is CAE positive, so keeping her in good condition can be hard during pregnancy).

Ive seen guidance that goats can be in pre-labor for about a day, but trying to understand when it might be a good idea to palpate and make sure nothing is tangled up or creating an issue. Could it be that as the babies shift for delivery, they are just putting extra pressure on her lungs, thus causing discomfort or that she has a longer than normal pre-labor stage?

2. ksalvagno

ksalvagno Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Sounds like normal end stage pregnancy to me. Kids are probably getting into position. Obviously keep an eye out for the ketosis since she has a history.

3. Nyjah

Nyjah Active Member

Mar 5, 2017
    Ok, I think I’m being paranoid lol. Pics of my land whale. I’m used to my little minis looking huge, but normally this girl is a very lean, long bodied girl, so is looking rather stout lol.

Attached Files:

4. MellonFriend

MellonFriend Well-Known Member

How far past her due date is she? I'm not by any means an expert (my first does haven't kidded yet), but I believe there is no need to go in and check on anything unless she's actively having contractions. She won't even be dialated enough for you to check until she's in active labor.

She's a very pretty doe by the way. You might be looking at more than twins if you think she's really big. ;)

toth boer goats and Nyjah like this.
  5. Nyjah

Nyjah Active Member

Mar 5, 2017
    That was another weird bit, as she wasnt with the buck until 9/1 thus her earliest due date should be 1/29. She seems perfectly happy now and is naping serenely in the sun with that far away momma goat look, so I figure she was just getting them in place. I just didnt realize that happened! The nigerian is progressing right on time and was exposed that same week and now has a mucus plug, so should be a number of kids by the end of the weekend.

She is a very beautiful doe and my understanding, was bred as a show doe. I bought her and an alpine doe and a mixed buck from the same breeder when I first got goats-all were CAE+ and the buck also had CL. I euthanized the buck, had the alpine doe die from pneumonia at 2 and have nursed this girl back from pneumonia twice and she is only 4. Fingers crossed she has at least one doe, as Ill remove it from her and bottle feed and leave her any bucks to raise. I culled most of my goats this year so it was just a few last ones I had a sentimental attachment to left over, and Im going to begin partitioning the CAE positive animals separately and no longer breeding. Try to get a fresh start with non-diseased animals ugh.

6. Nyjah

Nyjah Active Member

Mar 5, 2017
    My lamancha momma doe is still a land whale. She has had several days where she will having fairly strong contractions that you can actually see roll down her side and go through that for several hours, up down, up down, biting flanks, yawning, lots of drinking. Just as soon as I get excited, things slow down and she is back to normal, lol. I misjudged her ligaments as only now can I wrap my hand around her whole tail and her udder has started fully filling out more in the last day or so and very dry around the back end, no fluids at all and never any pushing.

She is currently being treated like a queen with her own horse stall (with pygmy friend on the outside of the mesh). Two days ago I went to check on her-and she had rolled upside down and got stuck on her back as she was too big to get up :). She just gave me that goofy lamancha look and waved a leg at me for help, which is so funny as normally she is so dignified and a little aloof! I rolled her back over and she hopped right up-we are both pretending it didnt happen!

Hopefully babies any day!

7. MellonFriend

Oh dear, what a predicament she got herself in! (doh) Hopefully that doesn't happen when no one is around to help her.

Good luck with kidding. I want to see a whole load of short eared babies.:bighug:

toth boer goats and GoofyGoat like this.
  8. Nyjah

Nyjah Active Member

Mar 5, 2017
    I’m now almost a month later and still no kids!! However all three foes are have been moaning and groaning for three days and are now all heavy breathing. The little one has started grunting so I think maybe pushing.

The original doe in this story has been breathing heavy on and off for about three days. Her udder is literally gigantic. I guess how long should I let her alone before palpating her. Images attached of my lovely mothership La Mancha and her two sidekicks. (Apologies for the barn, I have to rebuild the walls as the horses tore it up)

Attached Files:

JML Farms and MellonFriend like this.
  9. MellonFriend

They do like to make us go crazy waiting! (headsmash) (doh):haha:

JML Farms likes this.
  10. Boers4ever

Boers4ever Well-Known Member

Jun 28, 2020
    East Texas
    Prime example of the doe code!

JML Farms likes this.
  11. SalteyLove

SalteyLove Well-Known Member

Jun 18, 2011
    New England
    @Nyjah - do you live in a state with white tail deer population?

I don't mean to be an alarmist but I can't help see that in both the original photos you posted and the newer ones, this LaMancha doe has "cowlicks" along her spine from tail area creeping forwards toward head. It's a strong sign of Meningeal Worm. Of course it could be nothing. But if last summer/autumn your does may have been grazing pasture a little moist for snails/slugs I'd just keep a close eye. I mean, it could just be lice or pregnancy discomfort but I felt it was a strong enough pattern to mention!

Sfgwife likes this.
  12. MellonFriend

That can be mites too can't it?

13. Nyjah

Nyjah Active Member

Mar 5, 2017
    There are white tail deer literally everywhere here. Part of the “pasture” for lack of a better word is rocky then heavy Oak and cedar forest that lines a moist creek bottom that plateaus into a seasonal retaining pond. During dry times I let them graze there, albeit recognizing all their nutrition is really hay and supplemental alfalfa pellets. I don’t see slugs but do see a ton of snails and frogs. Ugh, I’ll research. I routinely worm with ivermectin based on famamcha.

14. SalteyLove

SalteyLove Well-Known Member

Jun 18, 2011
    New England
    Okay if your routinely use ivermectin during deworming then I would not worry so much! I guess just something to keep in mind if you start to see toe tripping in the back legs. It can absolutely be caused by something else, it was just the repetitive pattern that caught my eye (as the worm moves from spine to brain)

toth boer goats likes this.
  15. Nyjah

Nyjah Active Member

Mar 5, 2017
    Ok I took a peek at symptoms. She is a strange doe and has always been a little off. Like I sometimes see head tilting and sort of odd gazing and I’ve noted when in labor she sometimes shows an odd twisting of head and neck that I noted in the CAE encephalitis baby kid I was given. She is CAE positive and has had two rounds of serious pneumonia that I’ve nursed her back from. I’ve also noted her and her grand daughter to seem “dandruffy” so treated with ivermectin about two weeks back wondering if mites were there.

16. Nyjah

Nyjah Active Member

Mar 5, 2017
    I’ve not noticed any stumbling however or tripping-I’m so glad you mentioned this though as my property seems like the perfect spot for them to get exposed. I’ve been culling all goats but these last few who I love, due to cae and am trying to start over by pulling babies. However I’m also buying some very expensive sheep lambs-and it would have been awful to end up with this issue in them. Sounds like the low area should just be off limits!

MellonFriend likes this.
  17. Nyjah

Nyjah Active Member

Mar 5, 2017
    Ohhhhh we have weird gooey oooky vagina stuff!!! Babies are imminent !!!!!!!!!!!

MellonFriend likes this.
  18. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
  19. Adam Spires

Adam Spires Active Member

Oct 26, 2020
    Ohio
    Any update yet? (Can't wait to see babies!)