The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've never had a pregnant doe before, I've raised bottle babies and have had gotten does with less than week old kids before but I've never went through the whole process before they kid.

I have 4 boer does but one is to young to be bred and 2 mixed breed does and one of those is too young to be bred. The older does all have kidded at least 3 times before with no problems according to their old owners and I have a 6 month old boer buck that im going to use as my herd shire.

I just want to make sure I have everything they need i read a few post about full shiny udders and ligs and know that you cant always tell by that stuff and unfortunately they are usually on their own time schedule lol. And I've seen where people say it looks like the kid has dropped but i can't tell the difference in the pics

We are in the process of building a new goat shed and right now it has grassy floors but i plan on locking the chickens in their to make it have a dirt floor. It will have a smaller fenced in area behind it so i can separate mamas and kids from the herd after and during when they kid. Do yall prefer shavings or hay? I was thinking shavings with hay on top of it? Is there anything else they need kidding area wise?

Also feedings some threads say dont feed them to much because the kids will be to big and they will have a difficult birth but i don't want to cut down too much so that she looks skinny after she kids?

Thank you for reading and sorry for the long post and piles of questions. :)

·
Registered
30,614 Posts
Sounds like you are well on your way :)
I have a close due date on my girls because I do not run my buck with them..we have a breeding pen that they meet up in and I get a good idea of when to expect kids. It makes it easier on me LOL
Kids dropping means instead of carrying the kids on her side they are under her...so her underbelly will "drop"

Its true over feeding can create difficult kiddings..baby being too large canmakeit hard to deliver, mom being too fat can cause Pregnacy toxemia....if your doe is in good condition, work to maintain that..if she is a bit over weight..decrease her feed a small amount at a time..if she is underweight...increase her hay rations but not her grain...all changes should be done slowly...

·
Banned
5,944 Posts
I do not use wood shavings to kid on - either by themselves or under hay. The shavings stick to the wet kids and cause problems with the kids breathing, and they also make it much more difficult for Mom to clean up the kids. I don't use them under hay because Mom's pawing during kidding tends to displace the hay and bring the wood shavings to the top, plus wet wood shavings tend to dry to a concrete like substance and make cleaning out the shed very difficult. I stick with straw or old hay.

Actually a grass floor in the kidding shed is a good thing as it provides something for the sac to snag on and break so the kids don't smother. That is exactly why most cattlemen and women prefer calving in the pasture as opposed to the corral. However, a grass floor will make cleaning out the shed a bit more difficult.

·
Registered
401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys! :)
I kinda forgot about this thread...

So today i saw my 7 month doeling rubbing all over this little bush and it wasent like she was scratching, and ive been trying to figure out heat signs because ive never been able to pick it out, so i was watching her and then she started swishing her tail a little and went up to her sister and started play head butting and swishing her tail. Then my dog was in the field with me just sniffing horse poo like normal (lol) and she usually stays far away from him but she randomly walked up to him and started sniffing all over his face it was weird. And by the bad look he was giving her i didnt think he was going to behave much longer so i called him over then she went back to rubbing on the bush then started following him around.

Are these heat signs? She's not with a buck hes on the other side of the yard in another field and hes pretty young so i won't really be seeing a reaction out of him. I dont know im just curious by her weird behavior and i don't really get heat signs yet. Any guesses? :)

·
Registered
30,614 Posts
sounds like heat...they can be mouthy, tail wagging..riding another doe..playful head butting..her rear may be a bit swollen and red..some get a slight discharge...anyor allof these signs are a good chance she is in heat...I agree at 7 months I might wait too....I likemy does to be a year old and at least 70% of full grown weight..

·
Registered
401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks, :) now i have a better idea ive just never been able to notice and wanted to have a better idea so when i start breeding the older does it might be easier to know if they are bred or not.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts