Goat Project help :)

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by tradershez, Sep 12, 2010.

1. tradershez

tradershez New Member

Oct 27, 2009
    :laugh:

Hello,
    We are really excited we have triplets born next door us (neighbour's goat)
    They gorgeous! :kidblack: :kidblack: :kidblack:

My daughter who is 4 yrs old is wanting to track the kids development.
    I am struggling to find any internet sites that have information at all on kid development & what they are able to do after 2 days and then 5 days etc...

Does anyone know of any good place to find on the web for this sort of info?

Many thanks!!
    The Carters

2. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    hmm not sure - never really was looking for such information before.

kids really can do a lot after just a couple hours - stand nurse, walk around they sleep a lot too, in days they are bouncing around and acting like little balls of energy. You will see them nibbling on grain, grass, hay etc by 2 weeks of age. They will actually start eating it soon after that. They should nurse off mom for at least 8 weeks (or be bottle fed that long) and some breeders let them nurse for 12+ weeks. Mom will start to kick them off the teat by 4 weeks but to not mistake this for her not letting them to nurse, she just knows they can suck faster and they dont need as much as often. She will call them over to nurse mostly when you arent watching for them to get a good fill of milk. (I've hidden so I can watch this happen :p ). Its funny to see these huge kids kneel down to nurse under their mom gives me a good giggle.

what breed of goats are these do you know?

3. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    I don't know of any sites either... :chin:

:laugh: yep they are a joy.... Stacey is right .... healthy kids are on their feet quickly..... If the neighbors will allow you to be around with your kids ...to watch them grow.... that is great.... :thumb: ... just know.... that after kids are born... it is critical.... to not let your kids play and touch them.... before bonding is achieved with momma and babies....she may disown them.... Another thing to be careful about is ....some does ...are protective of their kids ....and may not like your kids near....she may even try.... to butt them....you have to be careful with youngsters around Goats....also... if they are not use to "people kids" ...they may be really frightened...not knowing what they are......I had that happen here....one Doe would try to attack the kid....and the others where.....running from him.....just watch closely... to see the reaction.... don't want your kids to get hurt.... Or the Doe may be fine with them ...you never know :hug:

4. tradershez

tradershez New Member

Oct 27, 2009
    Thanks for the help :)

Our neighbours are fantastic - my little girl has grown up with their goats and so we are lucky, they know us so does the doe. She is pretty good. She allows us to come close and sit and watch - and then when the babies approach us then we give them cuddles.

The doe has been wonderful and let's us play with them. She does call for them when you wants them back. We always bring her some food :hi5:

One of the triplets, they are 4 days old now, is super friendly & jumps in our laps :leap:

The doe had twins last year & we played with them too. She is a very laid back doe, but we are also very gentle & careful. My little girl is a very cautious animal lover.

We live in Rarotonga, we are expat New Zealanders here. Their is a fair bit of animal/goat neglect here & so we have spent many days so far out of our 2 years here rescuing goats & looking after them while they are sick. The neglect we see would shock you guys! On the plus side our little girl is very good at looking after animals.

Thanks for the help - here are some photos of them.
    I have no idea what type of breed they are - all the goats in Rarotonga are the same type...We own 3 goats too : :stars:

Thanks
    The Carters

Attached Files:

5. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    Your welcome..... :wink:

Aww....they are adorable..... :love: :thumb:

6. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
  7. Kfin

Kfin New Member

Jun 23, 2010
    Canyon, TX
    They are darling. I can't wait for my first set of kids next year. I love the pictures of baby goats.