Goat proof tree trunks?

Discussion in 'Goat Management' started by Court2302, Sep 16, 2019.

1. Court2302

Court2302 Member

Jul 3, 2019
    Spokane, WA
    Hi All,

Our goat pen has a number of mature ponderosa pine trees in it. They haven't shown interest in the bark yet but I'd like to wrap/fence them before they get the chance. Any thoughts on what I could wrap them in? I was thinking the plastic mesh fencing with about 1" holes? Or would something with posts set back from the tree be needed? They are nigerian dwarf goats...

Thanks so much!!

2. ksalvagno

ksalvagno Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

I'd be putting in posts and put fencing on the posts. Goats will easily destroy the plastic snow fence.

3. camooweal

camooweal Active Member

Jun 27, 2015
    We've got some poplar and oak trees that have had wire netting/rabbit netting wrapped around and around and around their trunk up to about six feet and so far so good. The goats (ANs) trimmed the lower branches above the netting but now, everything's out of their reach. The netting just needs checking every once in a while as a doe will sometimes 'climb' the netting with the hope of reaching the unreachable.
    camooweal

Dwarf Dad likes this.
  4. mariarose

mariarose Well-Known Member

Mine have the most attraction to tree bark when the sap is rising in the Spring. That's when the minerals are being brought up from the soil around the roots. The best mineral supplementation you can give them will help to lessen the drive to chew the bark or climb over the fencing.

I second the idea of setting the fencing away from the trunk.

5. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    Yep, I would put field fence and t- post around the tree far enough to where, if they get up on the fence around it, they cannot reach the tree.

goatblessings likes this.
  6. alwaystj9

alwaystj9 Active Member

Apr 10, 2019
    Zachary, Louisiana
    I vote for the set away fence and posts. I lost several pines and other, smaller trees, by goats rubbing/scratching. They didn't eat them, they girdled them by rubbing around and around the trunks. They don't like fig trees but climb into the trunk and branches scratching and pressing themselves against it.

toth boer goats likes this.
  7. camooweal

camooweal Active Member

Jun 27, 2015
    The reason we wrapped the tree trunks (seven of them) in netting was because we have limited grazing now. Wrapping the trunks lets the goats graze right up to the tree whereas putting a post and rail fence back from the tree allows the grass to grow and as the goats can't reach it (after all, the purpose of the post and rail fence is to keep the goats back from the trees) we'd then have to get the brushcutter out and knock it down ourselves. Easier to let the goats do that in the first place !!
    camooweal

Dwarf Dad and Trollmor like this.