Goat Psychiatry

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by Nigie Girl, Aug 25, 2008.

1. Nigie Girl

Nigie Girl Guest

Oct 19, 2007
    You may have read my post in the "Rainbow Bridge" section. I had a doe killed by a bear in an awful way. My two other surviving does are traumatized. It happened this past Saturday and I went to a fair on Sunday which surprisingly calmed them down considerably. I think it was the change of scene and the large amount of goats and people.

While I was away my dad installed a 5000 volt electric fence meant to power 10 miles of fencing...I only fenced in a small area. Technically the goats cannot touch the fence unless they stick their hooves or noses too far through the fence already installed. It's installed so that it sticks about 2-3 inches out from the fence already there. Also when I was away, my thoughtful brothers sprayed down the field (to get out the blood) and around the front entrance where there was the smell of bear. They also cleaned out the shed and moved the floor mats out to the yard and washed them down with soap and the power sprayer. After the mats were dry, they moved everything back in the barn, put clean woodchips inside and sprayed air fresheners. They also wiped down parts of the walls and the small door that the bear dragged my doe out of when he killed her.

Now that my goats are back in the barn they are still scared to death. I know it takes a couple of days to re-adjust to the present situation but my goats are almost chronically nervous. One of them was born scared and she is always wincing and whirling around and making snorting noises now. The other is grinding her teeth much more than usual. Their eating habits have changed as well (they barely eat any hay now) and their grain intake has decreased because they get distracted and strain their necks in the stanchion to make sure that there is no bear behind them when I am milking.
    Does anyone have any tips on how to calm down my goats? I am very calm myself now (I have recovered) but my goats still are extremely nervous. All day they scream and run around the pen thinking that something is chasing them.

Any ideas? I would really appreciate it.

2. goathappy

goathappy New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Illinois
    Have you tried maybe playing music in their pen to see if that calms them down? Also, what will calm them down, if you take lavendar essential oil(the real stuff, from a health food store) and mix it with water and just mist around them with it. Lavender is veeerrrryyyyyy calming.

3. Nigie Girl

Nigie Girl Guest

Oct 19, 2007
    haha ironically that is the air freshener that my brothers sprayed when they cleaned her pen! (and it was the real stuff too)

I will try some more when they're not in the barn (so their eyes don't burn if they look up when I'm spraying it).

4. goathappy

goathappy New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Illinois
    It doesn't have to be strait lavender, it is pretty diluted in the water. The essential oil is quite fragrant by itself, and mixing it with water helps to tone it down some. I think you mix probably a dropper or two(if you get it in a bottle that comes with a dropper) into a pint of water.

Have you given them B shots at all? It seems to me B is eaten up during stressful times, give them probiotics too.

5. Nigie Girl

Nigie Girl Guest

Oct 19, 2007
    I have a new probiotics canister that I opened last summer and broke the seal...is it unsafe to use it now? How would you recommend I feed it to them...they're extremely picky.

6. goathappy

goathappy New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Illinois
    Is it a powder or a water soluable? It it is a powder, you could just try offering to them plain, otherwise if it is a powder you can mix it with molasses and little balls and make them eat it(I do this sometime with herbal wormer) If it is water soluable, mix it in a syringe with water and give it to them. It should still be ok.

7. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    I would watch for them getting a worm load with all the stress.

I dont know how much time it will take but they obviously are freeked out and boy I dont blame them :sigh:

try to be calm and take the time to walk with them around their pen etc so they know that you arent afraid. They need that

8. capriola-nd

capriola-nd New Member

Jul 6, 2008
    Northwest Oregon
    If you can get some Rescue Remedy from a health food store, that would be good. Rescue Remedy is derived from flowers. It is all natural and will not affect anything else they are being given nor will it change the taste of their milk. It should help calm them down. I'm so sorry for you and your girls!! How terrible! :hug: It sounds like you and your family are doing all you can to make sure that doesn't happen again.