The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Help Please with an injuried Goat

I have a young goat that was pulled through a fence by a dog. The only visible injuries were two puncture wounds and a deep cut on the front leg. The goat is eating and can sit up but will not stand up on his own. We stand him up but the he doesn't really stand on the front leg. He eats well and is still gaining weight. We are thinking one or both legs might be dislocated but we don't know how to check and or reset them if they are. I would really like to keep from putting him down. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I have a young goat that was pulled through a fence by a dog. The only visible injuries were two puncture wounds and a deep cut on the front leg. The goat is eating and can sit up but will not stand up on his own. We stand him up but the he doesn't really stand on the front leg. He eats well and is still gaining weight. We are thinking one or both legs might be dislocated but we don't know how to check and or reset them if they are. I would really like to keep from putting him down. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
295 Posts
Get the wounds clean!! Make sure you have something on them. Wrap them up and watch to see if the legs are large around the shoulders. That is a good start for the dislocation. You can feel around and get a good idea. Compare what it feels like to that of a healthy goat. Ive never had a dislocated shoulder in goats but that may help. Good luck!

·
14,456 Posts
I agree, keep wounds clean. Flush them with weak Betadine twice a day. Dont wrap they need to breathe.
I'd put him on a good 5 -7 days Pen injections.
Make sure they heal from the inside out. This mean you are going to have to squeeze a bit to make sure all pus is out & he is NOT going to like it.
Keep flushing till all fluids are clear.
If you can get lactated ringers from your vet more power to you, keeping wound flushed really helps.
I also squirt the Pen right into the wound after flushing.

·
I'm watching you
22,526 Posts
There are no fixed joints in a goats shoulders and front legs. They have free floating joints. There could be muscle tears, ligament damage etc. They aren't dislocated though.

·
Crazy Goat Lady
4,251 Posts
Did you see the attack? That would take some pulling to dislocate his leg...can you get a picture of the goat? Is it at the knee or shoulder/elbow? If this is the case he's going to need to see a vet asap. Feel down the leg and see if you can tell if something is broken? Can you move the leg around, is he acting very painful? Do you have any banamine? I would try to keep him warm and offer him some Gatoraid, and call the vet first thing in the morning. Good luck, poor kid.

·
Super Moderator
31,769 Posts
I agree with Di...that would take some doing...Banamine will give relief from swelling and pain...Give a good feel around and move the joints, watch or signs of pain...shave and clean wounds...use a triple antibiotic gel onthe wounds and begin Pen G to help fight infection and B complex for stress...pix would be helpful

·
Registered
295 Posts
I agree that wrapping is not always the best choice but if they are bleeding or are really bad wrapping for short terms is good. When one of my goats had hoof rot. We didnt want to wrap them because of the fact that it could get worse and the mold would spread. We just wrapped her for short periods because she liked having the pressure. Im also sort of new. This is only my 3rd year. Best of luck!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Sorry it has taken so long to update everyone. Shortly after I posted about the goat he was doing better and then I'm sorry to say he just died.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Sorry it has taken so long to get back to everyone. The Goat seemed to get better and was almost up on his own and then one night he passed. Thank you for everyones help

·
Super Moderator
31,769 Posts
OH, Im so sorry

·
Premium Member
10,547 Posts
I am so sorry for your loss.

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
sorry for your loss. who's dog was it? you should get them to pay for the goat at the very least. their home owners insurance should cover their liability. i had something similar happen and ended up having to take them to court before the insurance company paid.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.