The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
349 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, so, I’m a new goat owner...since August. I love love love it. I don’t love our buck so much anymore because he’s hard for me to handle...I’m just scared of him because I’ve seen him buck Chris. Anyways...Chris does the building..I take care of the animals. Right no we have more than 100 animals. This was my dream not his. So, here’s my dilemma...he’s fed up with the wrk already because we own appts and he gets calls occasionally but mostly because he builds trucks and hasn’t had time. Do you all hire people? How does that work on a small farm..I wouldn’t need them all day...just a few hrs here or there. I’m afraid that..if he doesn’t want to help at all... I won’t be able to do it all by myself. We had major freezing issues this week. The water tank didn’t freeze but the nozzle and handle did. These are problems ....how do ydeal with them? Chris is thrifty...so we use heat tape in our water buckets instead of the ones sold at TS....so far so good. Just asking how you guys deal with the big issues on your own...did I mention my doe is due in Jan? So I’ll need to hire someone to help me with her before care..I think?

·
Registered
14,606 Posts
You can do it on your own! You just have to come up with ways that make it where you can do it! I’m 5’2 130 pounds and my kids are just now getting old enough to actually be helpful, so for 9 years I have done managed 70 head on my own. I am still coming up with ways to make things easier for me to do it on my own.
My biggest thing that I did that is so helpful is I have a laneway that leads to a catch pen. When I need to do something with them I will feed them in the laneway. When they all go in I can push them into the catch pen and do what I need to do.
Bucks are the hardest part for me. I have actually been raving the last few days I’m done buying bucks and will only keep home grown boys. When I have to rope the purchased boys to do something with them and I can pull my home grown away from a doe in heat with just a hay string around his neck that speaks volumes!
But you just need to sit down and think of how to make things easier for you and remember the best way to manage a animal is it’s stomach ;)

·
Registered
349 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You can do it on your own! You just have to come up with ways that make it where you can do it! I'm 5'2 130 pounds and my kids are just now getting old enough to actually be helpful, so for 9 years I have done managed 70 head on my own. I am still coming up with ways to make things easier for me to do it on my own.
My biggest thing that I did that is so helpful is I have a laneway that leads to a catch pen. When I need to do something with them I will feed them in the laneway. When they all go in I can push them into the catch pen and do what I need to do.
Bucks are the hardest part for me. I have actually been raving the last few days I'm done buying bucks and will only keep home grown boys. When I have to rope the purchased boys to do something with them and I can pull my home grown away from a doe in heat with just a hay string around his neck that speaks volumes!
But you just need to sit down and think of how to make things easier for you and remember the best way to manage a animal is it's stomach ;)
Thanks for the vote of confidence..our barn is much more primitive than yours, but since it's only three goats and two pigs...it should be fine..are you sure you don't want to buy my buck?lol

·
Registered
6,059 Posts
It's tough but you get a routine that works and you improve it. I have just myself and daughter, I work two jobs,yet, I do it all including building,repairs and maintenance. She helps feed but is so busy with college there's not much time for helping with other stuff. It can be done just good planning and going with the flow if life happens. You have to keep the numbers manageable too and not biting off more than you can chew.

·
Registered
349 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
You see, we stared the whole farm in eight months..I think we bit off more than we can chew...plus... I read all of this and want everything done by the book...he is old school farming...much less laid back about concerns...

·
8,171 Posts
With goats, books are only vague guides. There are as many ways to care for and raise goats as there are goats themselves!

If you have to do it all and you think it is too hard, get rid of some of the critters causing problems. Or sell the ones you don't particularly like. Get down to a managable size. (Says the person with 200 goats and does it all alone!). If it isn't enjoyable or fun, start liquidating until it is fun again.

·
Registered
1,734 Posts
I will agree with everyone else that it definitely can be done. When we moved out of town 8 years ago I was so excited to get animals again ( grew up with tons) that I went a bit nuts. We were up over 250 animals at some point's with poultry rabbits goats pigs horse barn cats & dogs. I do pretty much all the care in the winter because my kids don't get home till late and that included packing a million buckets of water twice a day. A couple years ago I had to decide that between work kids house and animals I was wore out. Hated to do it but it was time to get to that enjoyable number mentioned above. Maybe try cutting back to a manageable number for a while. You can always add things back in later. I miss having a little of everything but I sure do enjoy my time with them a lot more now

·
Registered
30,603 Posts
Sit down and decide what you want out of your farm. Hobbie or for profit. Getting ahead of ourself is easy..back tracking can be hard, especially if that means selling animals you like but if you over extend yourself both physically and financially its no longer fun and no longer profitable. Get yourself down to what you can do and stay there and learn. Im pretty much alone now..kids, all but 2 are grown and making their lives...i have a daughter who is mentally delayed and autistic that i have to watch careful and last year i broke my shoulder...lost alot of strength and range of motion....down sizing my goat herd is wbat is best for me..more manageable having 8 or 9 goats than 30. Know what you want out of the farm and head that direction..you can do it.

·
Registered
349 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I will agree with everyone else that it definitely can be done. When we moved out of town 8 years ago I was so excited to get animals again ( grew up with tons) that I went a bit nuts. We were up over 250 animals at some point's with poultry rabbits goats pigs horse barn cats & dogs. I do pretty much all the care in the winter because my kids don't get home till late and that included packing a million buckets of water twice a day. A couple years ago I had to decide that between work kids house and animals I was wore out. Hated to do it but it was time to get to that enjoyable number mentioned above. Maybe try cutting back to a manageable number for a while. You can always add things back in later. I miss having a little of everything but I sure do enjoy my time with them a lot more now
Yes, it's..well, we just started this together..and NOW he realizes he doesn't like it....but I love it and have never felt better...so, I'm going to keep going with trying to ask him for as little help as possible...should be interesting when my doe gets close to kidding but not close enough to call the vet...lol. I'll be on here a lot...at least we sold our buck!

·
Registered
2,493 Posts
Right no we have more than 100 animals. This was my dream not his.
Would considering owning less chickens and ducks be a choice for you? Recently you wrote of adding more pigs, will this change now?

did I mention my doe is due in Jan? So I'll need to hire someone to help me with her before care..I think?
Has the pregnancy of the doe(s) been confirmed? What type of before care would be needed?

Do you all hire people? How does that work on a small farm..I wouldn't need them all day...just a few hrs here or there. I'm afraid that..if he doesn't want to help at all... I won't be able to do it all by myself.
What type of help specifically? Someone to do daily feeding occasionally? A farm hand. Someone to to build structures? A carpenter. Someone to repair frozen and busted pipes? A plumber.

What are the things that need to be done you don't feel can be handled without him?

should be interesting when my doe gets close to kidding but not close enough to call the vet...
When is close close enough to call the vet? I don't understand what you are trying to describe?

·
Registered
14,606 Posts
I’m not sure what you mean about the barn but I have absolutely nothing fancy. It is 3 car ports pushed together. I couldn’t build a barn on my own but I could defiantly put some car ports together lol
I can not tell you how many things are jerry rigged together around here. A lot doesn’t look pretty but it does what it need to do. I was very much like you to start with and I wanted everything absolutely perfect. Perfect was not in the cards for me so it is what it is.
And yes come on here a lot! Even if you don’t have a question just come on here and read others questions and comments. If it brings up a question then jump in and ask. You will learn so much doing so. This group has probably been the most informative then any book I could have gone out and bought.
Good deal on selling your buck! Now if being easy to handle is something on your list of what you want out of a buck, then make sure that is something you get. I can deal with these two punks (they are REALLY on my poop list at the moment) but if I couldn’t then being easy to handle would defiantly be a factor of which one I bought or passed up. It’s not a uncommon factor for some. Actually the one I have that’s why I got him, because he was hard to handle for his last owner. He just doesn’t want to be messed with

·
Registered
349 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Would considering owning less chickens and ducks be a choice for you? Recently you wrote of adding more pigs, will this change now?
Well, we rehomed seven noisey call ducks to our local feed store, who also has a petting zoo. Now I can see my ducks any time I want! They were the ones that bothered Chris, due to the noise..they do nothing but call to each other all day. Now we're down to 43 ducks, 1 goose, 19 chickens and a rooster. He's happy with these numbers, and so am I.

Has the pregnancy of the doe(s) been confirmed? What type of before care would be needed?
YEs, my doe Busty saw the VET and had bloodwork, plus a multitude of other things checked. She was in great health and definitely pregnant! I was wondering if she needed something more be fore giving birth, but after doing research, I realize, I can do those things, until it's time to call the vet.

What type of help specifically? Someone to do daily feeding occasionally? A farm hand. Someone to to build structures? A carpenter. Someone to repair frozen and busted pipes? A plumber.

When I wrote this threat, my husband was going through a rough time with his own winterizing work, and basically said he didn't had extra time to help. When he said that, I looked on here to see how you guys run your farms...if you have employees, if these goats are pets, if you have other jobs..etc. I definitely don't need anyone t do the maintenance issues, my husband was a contractor, he he knows how to all of those things. BUT, since, this thread, things have slowed for him..and, EVEN BIGGER...I learned that it can do it on my own!
I had a solid 5 days of just me doing it all. He was on the property, so if I needed him, he was ate t away. But, I got it done. The first few days, were slow-going. By today..it's going really well! I even have the pot belly pigs wanting to come in the barn! So, I surprised myself and realized that I'm tougher than i thought! And it feels great! You see, I'm only one year seizure free, and I had other issues that I no longer deal with so it feels so awesome to be healthy and strong!

and, the funny thing is, now that Chris doesn't feel obligated to help..he's finding reasons t do work for the farm! Today he cut several acres of our hay so better hay can be planted and bailed next year!

What are the things that need to be done you don't feel can be handled without him?
Not so much anymore!

When is close close enough to call the vet? I don't understand what you are trying to describe?
I mean, when Busty's ligaments get loose..isn't that a sign? Do I call the or wait to call a few more hours? I'm trying to read a ton from the kidding coral...

Thanks sooo much for your caring questions...I'm just sooo proud to be running this farm on my own!

·
Fair-Haven
4,728 Posts
Are the ligaments loose or gone? Has she dropped, is her udder tight, is she contracting or pawing, is there discharge from the vulva? Ligaments can come and go for many days, the very beginning of labor can last for many hours, watch more for hard contractions with pushing and more of the above signs. Do you have a pic of her udder and lady parts?

·
Registered
6,059 Posts
Watch YouTube videos so you can see other goats who are close to Kidding. That's a huge help to have something to compare it to. There's a lot of good ones out there ...
Try this as a starter. Crystal has many birthing and other good videos on care inn general

·
Registered
349 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Are the ligaments loose or gone? Has she dropped, is her udder tight, is she contracting or pawing, is there discharge from the vulva? Ligaments can come and go for many days, the very beginning of labor can last for many hours, watch more for hard contractions with pushing and more of the above signs. Do you have a pic of her udder and lady parts?
No, but, I guess I can try now that I have my goat stand..yeah goat stand!

·
Registered
5,206 Posts
Hi..I too thought my hubby would be as interested in goats and our new property also. Well ..i went to school and took courses to understand a broad idea of how to raise goats ..and I started with 8.Then he contributed a couple more cute ones. So now..we need fences built. None of the acerage was fenced for anything but cattle. So the work begins. After about 4 acres of fence...hes done. We both work..but he was too tired. I finished by myself. Since then i have built a wood pallet birthing barn ( saw plans on pinterest) its 21ft x 16 ft x 16 ft. And covered in corugated tin..( was on the place from old pens) i have 5 fenced sections. 3 goat houses. Lanes to keep from having fence breedings. Learned about building up for cleanliness in houses. I also have a rescue Morgan. 2 LGDs and 3 other dogs. I feed by myself. I watch the birthing by myself. I move them from pasture to pasture. I handle 4 bucks. 18 does. And 8 does are pregnant. I do the medical by myself. Im working on getting a microscope to do my own fecals. So..I keep my numbers where I can handle them. Im doing this by myself. I have been out with the goats after work..building areas till 1 or 2 in the a.m. If you love it...its not a problem. You do the best you can. With or without another person. My kids are grown. I have grandkids. I stay in good shape. And my goats help me there also. They keep me sane & happy. And confused..lol. so make your choices..and do the best you can. You have ALL THESE WONDERFUL GOAT PEOPLE TO HELP YOU! you really only need a vet...sometimes.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts