Goat Ramming

Discussion in 'Pack Goat Training' started by EvergreenFarm, Oct 31, 2018.

1. EvergreenFarm

EvergreenFarm Member

Mar 23, 2016
    Hello I need some help/advice. I currently have 4 goats, I am still learning about them, but have a serious question that needs immediate attention. Two of my goats I had since they were a week old. I was told that they were both mini's, well one is and one is not and unfortunately only one of them has horns, the others were de-budded before I got them.

My issue is, is that the largest one keeps ramming the little ones, really hard, I mean bad and has gotten to the point where he will ram me if I am in there which is new. I refuse to get rid of him, because if I do I know someone will kill him but I am at my wits end with him, is there any help? Any suggestions greatly appreciated. Thank you

Oh they are all males, all neutered and all but one have no horns

2. elvis&oliver

elvis&oliver Well-Known Member

Jun 27, 2018
    Pa
    I bet this is very stressful! I’m not qualified to give you good enough advice but someone will be right along to help. I wish you good luck with the stinker and applaud you for not just sending him off.

3. ksalvagno

ksalvagno Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Separate him. Have a spray bottle and spray him when he comes at you.

catharina and groovyoldlady like this.
  4. mariarose

mariarose Well-Known Member

You have to change your mindset from protecting him, to protecting the little ones. Nothing you try will work until you make that mindset change.

You will need to separate him and do something unpleasant every time he disrespects you. A spray bottle of water to the face often works. If it doesn't, you can upgrade to vinegar.

He'll need to be separate as long as he is terrorizing the littler ones. Periodically test it by putting him back in, but WATCH and if he starts to bully, yank him back out.

Ask your vet to check and be certain there isn't a retained testicle.

Last edited: Dec 25, 2018
    Trollmor, catharina and groovyoldlady like this.
  5. Nigerian dwarf goat

Nigerian dwarf goat Well-Known Member

Sep 24, 2017
    Texas
    spray bottles NEVER work on my bucks... i use a hot shot....

mariarose likes this.
  6. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    Hot shot and separate him from the others before he kills them.

7. goatblessings

goatblessings Fair-Haven Supporting Member

Jan 5, 2015
    Southwest Ohio
    Unfortunately, some goats are overly aggressive. You will have to separate this guy always - I know you don't want to get rid of him, but if you can't separate, in the interest of the other 3 you may have to consider this. Sometimes there are very hard decisions to make in the best interest of our livestock.

8. Damfino

Damfino Well-Known Member

Dec 29, 2013
    Right behind you
    The best solution in my experience is to put the stinker in with a larger and/or older and/or more aggressive goat than he is--one that is gentle with people and other goats but won't take crap from a bully. I've had a few bucklings go away to their new homes as packgoat prospects and then come back to me for breeding season. When they came back they thought they were real tough guys because they could beat up all the other goats their own age/size. And then they met my full grown bucks and pack wethers! They had to adjust their attitudes real quick! Their macho attitude toward people was cured at the same time.

Make no mistake--I had to work with them as well and make sure they respected me as much as they did the bigger goats. Last year when I had five bucks, I never went into their pen without a riding crop or water pistol at the ready for the first 3-4 weeks that I had them. I didn't stop carrying my weaponry until I was good and certain that there would be no further challenges from the buck pen. But my job was minimized by the older, bigger goats who put the young punks firmly in their place without challenging me. It showed them who was Boss while also providing a good example of how top goats should act toward people and other goats.

9. WhiteFeatherFarms

WhiteFeatherFarms Well-Known Member

Jun 29, 2017
    I’ve had good luck with spray bottles &/or the hose! That’s what I’ve done to stop the bullying here! Good luck!

10. JearDOE Ranch

JearDOE Ranch Active Member

Aug 23, 2018
    Kansas
    If the water bottle doesn't work, we bring a thick stick with us into our big bucks pen. We just thump them on the horns if we have to. But we do handle them a lot so we have gotten to where we no longer need it. He's a gentle giant. I just have to make sure to never turn my back on him.
    As for the little ones, a spray with a water-hose will work on the bully, but I do not know if you can train him to leave the smaller ones alone and wouldn't trust him if I wasn't around. Plus, I wouldn't spray him in the winter time. Your best bet is to separate into an adjoining pen if your not going to get another goat to put with him.
    I hope you can figure something out. I know you want to keep him.

mariarose likes this.
  11. Trollmor

Trollmor Well-Known Member

Aug 19, 2011
    Goatless in Sweden
    How have things worked out, EvergreenFarm?

Personally, I prefer non-violent methods, like lifting them up to demonstrate how VERY much stronger I am. (No average sized buck would be able to lift another average sized one!) In severe cases I take the time to tip him and hold him down until he really surrenders. As is said in the link, this might take time. If he thinks he has half a chance, he will struggle to get lose, and if he manages, he has won. So hold on, until he lies still, and then roughly as long time again as he has been struggling. To tip a big buck over is tricky, but the main method is to get hold of both his further legs, and pull these in under his belly and then lift them. When you can spare one hand, let him feel your smell, so that he remembers who has tipped him. As has been said, this will make him surrender to you personally, not to others.

But if a goat, male or female, bullies smaller goats, I prefer to put the sinner into the freezer, before the atmosphere in the group is damaged.