Goat registration

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by StaceyRosado, May 8, 2008.

1. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    Ok I e-mailed this to AGS but still haven't heard back from them and it has been 4 days :shrug: must be a big time of year for them.

So I was wondering if anyone could help me out here

Thanks

2. goathappy

goathappy New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Illinois
    As far as the registration app. it should be on the website. For tattoos, when you signed up, you should have been given a tattoo sequence for your herd, for example mine is SD92, that goes in the right ear(as in the right ear when you are looking from the back of the goat) and the other ear you put this year's year letter(Y) and I usually do which number kid that was born, like 3 for the 3rd kid etc.

Attach the breeding memo to the registration paper, if you need to send for more than one copy it and attach it to each application.

3. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
  4. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    I have never tattooed before - scares me to death thinking of doing it!

But I just put what the tatoos are suppose to be on the paper right? I do plan to try to get them tatooed before they leave if not then I will be sure to let the new owners know what needs to be done before they can show them.

5. RunAround

RunAround New Member

Feb 17, 2008
    Massachusetts
    What they said. lol At least it is easier than disbudding. I still need to tattoo Angie.... I guess this weekend. She is such a drama queen I am sure she is going to throw herself on the ground afterwards. :roll:

Don't forget to try the tattoo on paper to make sure it is right before you do the ear. I can show you when I drop off Angie, but I am no expert. :wink:

6. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    oh would you??? oh that would be awesome if you could show me.

I guess I need to purchase the stuff to do it before then huh? hmm

I should just bite the bullet and do it. So I guess I need to know what I all need to get now too and which type of tatoo equiptment everyone suggests.

My tatoo is EOLF

Thanks Liz I will contact one of them

7. rlittlecritters

rlittlecritters New Member

Apr 26, 2008
    Lynden, Washington
    I have never tattooed my pygmies because with NPGA shows you can either have them tattooed or microchipped (even though they still get their assigned tattooes on their certificates of registration). Microchipping seems so much easier than giving them two tatooes.

8. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    probably easier --- and I can do that with AGS too, just dont' know how to that either. Plus I hear microchips can cause cancer in dogs :shrug:

9. RunAround

RunAround New Member

Feb 17, 2008
    Massachusetts
    I would be happy to. :)

I got the small tattoo outfit. http://www.jefferslivestock.com/ssc/pro ... f_id=16202

I didn't want to get the big one since their ears are so small. Also, get the green ink. It shows up better in dark eared goats.
    Tattooing isn't as bad as it seems. I thought it was going to be horrible my first time, but it wasn't. They only yell for a second. Then you just need to rub the ink in real good. You will end up with green ink everywhere! :greengrin:

10. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    ok another question

I need the letter set but I am confused on if it comes with the actual device or if i purchase that separate

ST-L3 300 Pet Tattoo A-Z Letter Set

ST-N4 300 Pet Tattoo 0-9 Digit Set

ST-T5 300 Pet Tattoo Outfit

so I guess I am saying --- so do I need to purchase all three of these?

11. RunAround

RunAround New Member

Feb 17, 2008
    Massachusetts
    When you get the tattoo outfit, the numbers 0-9 come with it. You will need to purchase all 4 letters of your herd name tattoo and a letter Y . Select the letters in the scroll down menu.

Hope that helps. :)

12. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    sweet! thanks

I got it now :D

Ok so the letter Y for this year and I should just get the letter Z for next year too?

13. RunAround

RunAround New Member

Feb 17, 2008
    Massachusetts
    Probably. It makes one less order from jeffers... maybe. I am always buying too much stuff from them! :D

14. RunAround

RunAround New Member

Feb 17, 2008
    Massachusetts
    Oh, you need to get the green ink separately, they only give you black ink with the tattoo outfit.

15. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    you are right by next year I will be ordering something else - one less thing to loose. I think I will just get what I need an nothing more

all this overhead is cutting into my profits :sigh: oh well, thank the lord for quads LOL

Oh and thanks about the green ink --- they should make blue or red, green is boring

Roll on or paste? do you have a preference?

16. RunAround

RunAround New Member

Feb 17, 2008
    Massachusetts
    I use the paste. I vote for Purple! :slapfloor:

I know what you mean about things cutting into profit. I got hay the other day, and boy was that expensive! :shocked:

17. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    well I goal is to sell the kids and make enough money to pay for hay, so purchasing all these extras are not helping. But I can't complain I am very happy. Stressed but happy :dance:

18. Muddy Creek Farm

Muddy Creek Farm New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Keokuk, Iowa
    Don't get roll on, it dries out too quickly. Tattooing is NOT bad at ALL. I was terrified to do it the first time.

19. fcnubian

fcnubian New Member

Oct 22, 2007
    Tattooing isn't hard. :thumb:

I use the green paste. And this is what I do.

First I get my niece. She sits on the milk stand, puts the back of the kid under her leg (This is nubians, not nigis.) Puts the kid neck between her knees/thighs. Holds the kid's head with her hands.
    I clean both ears before starting. I have the letters in the tattoo outfit so its ready to go. I take one ear, and rub the ink on it. Then I position the tattoo outfit. Tell my niece to hold the kid very tightly. I tattoo the kid, kid screams of course. Then I release and add more ink over the holes. I rub the ink in really good. Then I repeat on the other ear.

I do not wear gloves to tattoo. My fingers/hands/arms and anything else is green until the ink comes off/fades. I could never grip the tatoo outfit good enough and decided I'd rather have green hands then a messed up tattoo on one of the goats.

I take tattooing over disbudding any day. Lol. I dont like disbudding but its something that must be done. I'll be getting a disbudding iron soon. I know how to disbud. I just need to find another helper unless my niece can help me.

Goodluck!

20. goathappy

goathappy New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Illinois
    Another thing when tattooing, clip the hair in their ears, wash their ears with alcohol, and after tattooing put vaseline on the tattoo to seal the ink in. I still have last years kids to tattoo :doh: I am so bad.