Goat registry - which one? Or all of them?

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by zoomom, Mar 22, 2010.

1. zoomom

zoomom New Member

Feb 26, 2010
    When i purchased my two registered does, I was told to send in the transfer of ownership papers. (which i haven't done yet) The lady also mentioned that if i was a member, i would get a discount. Not looking at the papers first, I became a member of the NDGA, and registered a herd name with them. (seemed logical at the time)

After the visit from NY ag and markets, i was reminded about sending the paperwork in, and looking at the doe's registration papers, i see they say 'American Goat Society' at the top.

So i went to look that up on the internet, and noticed there is also the American Dairy Goat Association, and the American Nigerian Dwarf Dairy Goat Association, and who knows how many others. Do i have to join them all and have my does registered with all of them? Or is one (or two) better to join than others?

2. ProctorHillFarm

ProctorHillFarm New Member

I register mine with AGS and AGDA since the majority of the shows in this area are sanctioned for those registries

There really isnt any reason for me to register mine with the NDGA or ANDDA since there really isnt any shows for those registries in this area

Also- I believe if you have an AGS or ADGA goat you can register them in ANY of the above named registry, but I dont believe that works the other way (I dont think just because a goat is NDGA or ANDDA you can register them with AGS or ADGA )

3. zoomom

zoomom New Member

Feb 26, 2010
    i guess i should have done more research before wasting my money. I thought it was too easy to get a herd name, after i came here and people were talking about how hard it was to pick one that hadn't been used already.

I don't think AGS lets you register herd name online - the site is kind of confusing, but i emailed them and asked if my name choice was available. I don't want to waste time thinking of a second name choice if i don't even need it.

4. farmergal

farmergal New Member

Jun 19, 2009
    Northern California
    I would recommend calling AGS and ADGA when it comes to reserving herd names. There are usually very nice ladies in the office and they will actually look up herd names for you while you're on the phone.

5. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    if they are AGS registered then I suggest transfering them first into your name-- but be sure to copy the transfer slip so you have it for transfering your AGS animals into ADGA (if you choose to do so, not manditory, I dont).