The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
984 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My kids are getting too big for my sling and hanging scale. How do y’all weigh kids and adult goats for meds? Will I need to invest in a special goat scale? Cause those are expensive! I need one preferably battery operated since I don’t have electricity in the barn, and it’s a good walk from the house. Any suggestions? Thanks.

·
Registered
2,494 Posts
Crap, link won't work. There is a website named goneoutdoors.com with directions on how to build a livestock scale. Can use pavers for the cement floor. Cut small windows into the plywood sheet to see the weights if the scales don't hold the weights in memory so they can be viewed later. If you can't locate it, I feel sure I could explain how to build them.

edit: enter "livestock scale" into the search box

·
Registered
3,851 Posts
@MadHouse built a livestock sling scale. Not sure how much it cost her, but maybe she'll have some advice. 🙂
It cost lots! Probably more than most people want to spend.
But I had a thread about weighing goats.

·
Registered
559 Posts
I went with this scale. VS-550 with cage
I did buy the cage to go with it too since I was super busy at the time and just wanted something that I didn’t have to do more then plug in and get started.
They do have scale kits too and we got one of those too for the cattle. It wasn’t overly hard to make.
But the company is a good company. They will walk you threw any issue, we had a lot of questions with the kit because we were over thinking it. They also have every replacement part ever needed, so say when you don’t keep the cord out of little goats reach and need a new one or a squirrel chews threw the cord and takes off with the scale screen thing. Things like that lol

·
Registered
277 Posts
It has been in the back of my mind to build a cheap scale, but being low on my priority list it has not been done yet. The basic idea involves two bathroom scales (often available at thrift stores for a buck or two) and an appropriately sized board spanned across the two scales. Get goat to stand still on the board for a second and add the readings of the two scales. This may have to be inside a chute to contain the goat.

·
Registered
984 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Ok I think I have decided to buy a normal 20” by 43” vet scale. I found one on Amazon for $193 which is inside my preferred budget. I also found a place that sells the cage that goes around it. But I think I’m just going to try this see if it works.
But I do have another question. Is 20” by 43” big enough for a full size Boer goat? I’ll be using it for both kids and adults.

·
Registered
578 Posts
Thanks everyone! I’m thinking about the smithco XL scale. I think it would probably be a good investment since I’ll be using it for years.
My scale is from SmithCo. I love it. It was very affordable, it's easy to use and store, and works great. I use it for everything from my cats to my miniature horses. It's so important to be able to get accurate weights for dosing meds, etc, so a good reliable scale is invaluable!

·
Registered
984 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
My scale is from SmithCo. I love it. It was very affordable, it's easy to use and store, and works great. I use it for everything from my cats to my miniature horses. It's so important to be able to get accurate weights for dosing meds, etc, so a good reliable scale is invaluable!
Which one do you have?

·
Registered
578 Posts
Which one do you have?
I just looked up my invoice (from 2017) and it looks like I got the 700 lb XL platform scale, but that I paid $389 for it. So it looks like the price has gone up in the last 4 years. Still a great scale though, and shipping is still free. I bet you could get away with the regular 700 lb (not XL) though for goats. Like I said, I put my miniature horses on my XL, and they are on the large side for minis!

·
Registered
984 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I just looked up my invoice (from 2017) and it looks like I got the 700 lb XL platform scale, but that I paid $389 for it. So it looks like the price has gone up in the last 4 years. Still a great scale though, and shipping is still free. I bet you could get away with the regular 700 lb (not XL) though for goats. Like I said, I put my miniature horses on my XL, and they are on the large side for minis!
Thank you! That’s the one I’m looking at. Does it work well for babies? I use a sling and hanging scale for them and the tape for the adults. But I’m seriously think that the SmithCo scale would be a great investment. And so much easier too!

·
Registered
578 Posts
Thank you! That’s the one I’m looking at. Does it work well for babies? I use a sling and hanging scale for them and the tape for the adults. But I’m seriously think that the SmithCo scale would be a great investment. And so much easier too!
I have Nigerians, and the babies are so little and squirmy it's honestly less hassle to just get on the bathroom scale with them lol. I have a sling and hanging scale too but I don't even use that with them anymore. I'm sure it would work if you can keep them on it long enough though! I use the SmithCo for my cats, so weighing small animals isn't an issue. I try to weigh all my animals at least once a year (twice when I can manage) so that if I need to dose meds quickly, I don't have to mess with getting a sick animal onto the scale, or so I can verify whether an animal really is losing (or gaining) weight or if it's just the spring shedding making it appear that way, etc. I use it for the LGDs as well. Super handy!

1 - 20 of 25 Posts