The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We had a pregnant doe start to scour yesterday, then died. She appeared perfectly healthy in the morning. Her scours looked like cow patties. They were 12 inches in diameter.

Now we have a second that just started to scour. 12 inches in diameter.

These are 5 and 7 year old boer does. 120 days pregnant. CD&T in october. Grass is turning green. Started new bag of feed Saturday. No new animals. Eyes pale, but weren't last weekend.

I have never seen anything like it. Any ideas?

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I've never used scour check. How do you use it?
Oh dear that is so terrible. Im very sorry!

I suppose that I would guess bacterial and start Scourchek but it's only a guess!
Maybe a toxins on the pasture but seems like you'd see cud slinging or other symptoms with that.

·
Registered
449 Posts
I always give probiotics and vitamin b complex at the first sign of a goat acting off. Not sure with scour check though.
Raising cows my first thought on being turned out on green grass is magnesium poisoning. Do they have a good free choice loose mineral with high salt content?

·
Registered
6,070 Posts
I'm sorry you're going through this! There's universal antidote paste you can get at Tractor supply if you think they're into something toxic...but scourhalt is twice the amount labeled yes.

·
Premium Member
4,675 Posts
We had a pregnant doe start to scour yesterday, then died. She appeared perfectly healthy in the morning. Her scours looked like cow patties. They were 12 inches in diameter.

Now we have a second that just started to scour. 12 inches in diameter.

These are 5 and 7 year old boer does. 120 days pregnant. CD&T in october. Grass is turning green. Started new bag of feed Saturday. No new animals. Eyes pale, but weren't last weekend.

I have never seen anything like it. Any ideas?
I would toss the bag of feed. Give hay only a d keep them off the grass for a bit to see if it helps. Plus try the scourhalt. Vit b complex and probios.

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for all the advice. We looked at the feed bag and the one that we are using has nothing written on the label. It's a complete blank white piece of paper. It also looks slightly different and smells different than the normal feed.

For a safety precaution we split up all the goats into four different pens. They were running 12 in a 10 acre pasture when it started.

·
14,760 Posts
Ok if the feed has no label, and you just got it and the goat came down sick right after and died, I would be looking at the feed as the culprit. You don't know what kind of feed it is at all? so nothing on the label to identify it? Do you have a receipt? I would be raising h*ll if that is the case because they gave you an unmarked bag of feed that could have killed your goat and killed more. But this shows that it is absolutely vital that you check your feed bag label and do NOT bring home a bag that is not labeled.

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
That is right. I picked up 3 different types of feed, 2 bags of each. This one had a white piece of paper attached where all the others had the label. The bag looked right, but it didn't have a label.

·
Registered
14,606 Posts
I agree with everyone with tossing the grain and keeping them off the grass for now, but with eyes pale I would get a fecal in. I know for a fact barber poll worms can be very devastating very fast. Of course since I lost a goat that would be the first thing that pops into my head but I was very shocked at how fast I lost my buck to it. He had scours, I ran a fecal that day, worked and gave him red cell, he even tried to attack me over it and by morning he was laid out dying and I put him down. So I REALLY recommend getting a fecal ;)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts