Goat scurs!! help please... AHHH FREAKEN OUT.... pic...

Discussion in 'Goat Management' started by Lizzy_18, Mar 17, 2010.

1. Lizzy_18

Lizzy_18 New Member

Feb 14, 2010
    How long does it take for the scurs to come off if you band them? i plan to show a buck at the state fair in july (4 months) is that enough time :) :scratch:

2. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    Re: Goat scurs!! help please

I've banded the horns on a nigi doe that came off within a month. Scurs would be easier I think..not more than 6 weeks.

3. Lizzy_18

Lizzy_18 New Member

Feb 14, 2010
  4. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA

I just shave around the base, got the band down onto the skin area and used black tape above the band to keep it in place.

5. Lizzy_18

Lizzy_18 New Member

Feb 14, 2010

SWEET!! Thank you so much!! :hug:

6. bheila

bheila New Member

Jan 9, 2009
    Kent, Wa

Make sure you use 2 bands for each horn.

7. Lizzy_18

Lizzy_18 New Member

Feb 14, 2010

really?? how come? is it to hold it in place?

8. bheila

bheila New Member

Jan 9, 2009
    Kent, Wa

It's twice the squeeze I guess. You'll have to make a groove with a chain saw file all the way around the base of the horns that way the bands will stay in place. Some people said that you need to change the bands once a week but honestly I can't see how you'd be able to since they're so sore. I was able to change the bands 1 time.

9. AlaskaBoers

AlaskaBoers New Member

May 6, 2008
    Wasilla Alaska

I've baned horns on an ND before, that link made it look like it was tramatic for the goat! too much blood for simple horn banding.

I just took a rasp and made a dent and slapped a band on there, 4 weeks later they were gone and havnet grown back

10. bheila

bheila New Member

Jan 9, 2009
    Kent, Wa

I agree with Katrina, that link looked painful.

11. Bellafire Farm

Bellafire Farm New Member

Jan 5, 2010
    NW Oregon

We did a few of our Nigi's just as the other person here suggested. Shaved the area (mainly so you can see what your doing), then we apply the band as low as possible, then use tape just like suggested here. I think ours take about 4-8 weeks. We did try to file a little dent low on the horn to help hold the band in place, but it's just very difficult to do. The tape doesn't stay on well, but atleast it's something to hold it. We don't do anything after that but check to make sure the band is still intact...no replacing weekly.
    Ours were always short scurs, about 1-2 inches or so???
    Our doe's didn't notice a thing at all once the band was on (even moments after!), never seemed pained, never bled, never even acted sore at all. Much nicer than actually trying to burn them again. :sigh:

12. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA

I didn;t do the "groove" with a file, just got 1 band as far below the horn as possible. This doe had horns like a buck would though cause I think she's an "it"...anyhow, the way she used her head though I think she likely helped her horns in coming off.

13. SDK

SDK New Member

Jun 26, 2008
    Yucaipa ca

just go on that notch he already knocked into it.. the smaller one is passable, and he's been working that other piece off slowly

14. Seven Dwarfs

Seven Dwarfs New Member

Jan 17, 2010
    Brush Prairie Wa

I have a buck who is really nice but has some terrible scurs and they are not small. Does this procedure work on ones that are pretty thick? They are like horns but you can tell they are not because of the distortion.

15. Lizzy_18

Lizzy_18 New Member

Feb 14, 2010
    [​IMG]

DO I CUT IT OFF...but idk if i have the belly to... Its been a few days...and hes still in pain DUH but its still more then half way on... and its banded... hes eating but he wont come out of the house..i put iodine on it..can i give him tylenol? the blood is thick and dry now... it stoped bleeding but boy am i worried.... ah i know i should not be but the blood is makeing me woozy... lol

16. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    wash his face with some water and it wont look so bad

17. Lizzy_18

Lizzy_18 New Member

Feb 14, 2010
    hes like all depresed tho and wont come out of the house... :/

18. RunAround

RunAround New Member

Feb 17, 2008
    Massachusetts
    I'm confused as to where the band even is on the horn. I'd be real careful and watch for more blood loss. If there is anymore I would get a vet involved... they can loose a lot of blood from their horns.

19. Lizzy_18

Lizzy_18 New Member

Feb 14, 2010
    u can hardly see the band...its like at the base of the scur.... so far its not bleeding anymore but ill keep a eye out for it..i just hope it comes off soon... :/

20. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    well thats normal -- his head hurts -- give him some banamine

also a shot of B complex wouldnt be a bad idea