The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I went out today and saw my goat he had previously had mites but we took care of that, and he was loosing hair on his neck and it was scabbed up. But now he is loosing hair on the middle of his stomach (the part that sticks out the farthest). I didn't know if he was shedding or the mites came back, or something else. He looks fine and it is not scabbed or anything.

:confused::confused:

·
Registered
30,573 Posts
a few things that cancause hair loss are lice, mites, mange and mineral def. hormones lol..here is alink to discuss a few ideas
http://kinne.net/hairloss.htm

Begin my ruling out the parasites..You can use Ivomec injected 3 times a week apart 1 cc per 40# or use atopical treatment such a cylence or 7 dust ( I put dust treatments in a sock and use it to pat the dust on my goats..avoid eye mouth and nose area.
Mange will cause crusty red blotching areas..a quick check should tell you if you need to treat for it.
are you feeding loose mineral? in a copper def. area?

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I treated the mites with Ivomec and finished it last week and the only place he lost hair was his neck and his hair is coming back. He is going through "puberty" I guess you would say. He also is usually very close and would walk right up to me and let me love on him, but now he is not as open to come up to me. Again could it be just puberty/stress causing hair loss. Its not exactly completely gone, but it's "patchy" I guess you could say

·
Registered
30,573 Posts
My sannen buck gets very thin haired on his neck and head during rut...his skin gets kind of scaly..I use to treat him for mites..poor guy but its just what he does..when rut is over he grows his hair back and looks great...his sons do the same thing..we increase feed during this time and make sure he has his loose minerals

·
Registered
30,573 Posts
I need the wheat germ oil..I keep sayingI need to order it lol

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I believe now that the mites have returned. In the beginning (on a previous thread) I was told he had mites and worms, so I gave him Ivomec *3 times every ten days, and he finished that. Also for the worms/mites I gave him Safeguard. Now he is still on flaky on the neck as he was, but now he is losing hair on his stomach and it is also flaky. Any suggestions on what to do??
*** Am taking him to the vet on Monday

·
Registered
39 Posts
I had a couple does this spring who lost their hair after kidding. It turned out they needed more protein. Black Oil Sunflower Seeds and Calf-manna help add weight and also help the hair growth.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts