The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi from New Zealand :) Is it possible that my goat could be pregnant to a sheep? She broke into the neighbours and had a fab afternoon. It was 4 weeks ago – she's just passed another heat with no sign. My vet says it's not possible, but she's certainly showing signs she could be???? Thanks so much for your time – stay safe ;) xxx

·
Registered
11 Posts
I believe it is possible but EXTREMELY rare and the babies are usually stillborn. But there have been cases of it and some of the offspring were born alive and well! So who knows haha I will be very interested to see how this plays out lol

·
Registered
4,169 Posts
They can breed and conceive but it usually ends in an abortion and very rarely will end in a kid which wont survive very long. It is important to keep a ram/buck away from does/ewes because even though the offspring wont survive it will ruin your ability to breed

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I believe it is possible but EXTREMELY rare and the babies are usually stillborn. But there have been cases of it and some of the offspring were born alive and well! So who knows haha I will be very interested to see how this plays out lol
I'll keep you posted! Thank you!

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
They can breed and conceive but it usually ends in an abortion and very rarely will end in a kid which wont survive very long. It is important to keep a ram/buck away from does/ewes because even though the offspring wont survive it will ruin your ability to breed
I only have 5 goats, 2 girls & 3 wethers. I can't believe she reached the ram, he's over a stream and behind deer fencing! She is a determined young lady. My only concern is that she is OK. Thanks for your thoughts.

·
8,177 Posts
Sheep belong to the genus Ovis and have 54 chromosomes, goats are Capra and have 60 chromsomes. If a pregnancy resulted, highly unlikely, it would most likely be aborted. There have been some lab hybrids produced, but they didn't survive long.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Sheep belong to the genus Ovis and have 54 chromosomes, goats are Capra and have 60 chromsomes. If a pregnancy resulted, highly unlikely, it would most likely be aborted. There have been some lab hybrids produced, but they didn't survive long.
That spells it out well - thank you! Was talking to my vet again today and he is just adamant it won't happen. As long as she is OK - that's what matters. Thanks so much for your advice :) x

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
Rarely, a buck can breed a ewe and result in “geep.” Can it not go the other way with a ram breeding a doe?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts