Goat Shelter idea help/suggestions.

Discussion in 'Goat Management' started by neigy, Feb 18, 2016.

1. neigy

neigy New Member

Feb 18, 2016
    I have three goats, two Nigerian Dwarf and an African Pygmy who is pregnant. I am thinking about using a polydome Mega Hut in conjunction with agri-plastics indoor pen as their shelter which has access to their very own 1 acre pasture.

The mega hut will provide shelter from the elements, and the indoor pen system can provide them with their own stalls which they can occupy as they see fit and one stall for milking the goats too! I think it would be useful to have the goat who is being milked separated from the other curious goats.

Thoughts?

2. goathiker

goathiker I'm watching you Staff Member Supporting Member

Well.. They kind of look nice although I'm not sure they would stand up to keeping goats in well.

I could build an entire 12 x 24 foot barn for the price...

3. ksalvagno

ksalvagno Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

It is nice looking. I think my concern is no windows. What is your climate like? I don't think it would do well in Ohio winters.

4. Damfino

Damfino Well-Known Member

Dec 29, 2013
    Right behind you
    I use the PolyDome calf nurseries (the round ones) for my goat shelters. I'd recommend the mini domes for smaller breeds. I usually have 8-12 goats using 4 shelters and it works out well. I saw a Mega Hut at the dealer's and I wasn't very impressed. It comes in several pieces which don't really fit together as well as one might hope. The dealer wasn't very happy with it either. He said it leaked and it needed extra reinforcement against the wind. It was also a lot harder to set up than he thought it would be. I definitely recommend the regular calf nurseries though. They're super low-maintenance, easy to move, and I expect they'll last just about forever.

Last summer we purchased a "warm climate hutch" and installed a wire door. It serves as my livestock guardian doghouse most of the time, but when we need to transport just one or two goats I put the door on and plop it in the bed of my truck like an extra-large kennel. It's perfect! It fits exactly between the wheel wells.

5. Frosty

Frosty Active Member

Feb 12, 2010
    Swanzey,NH
    Could you post some pictures of what your talking about. I would be very interested in seeing them. Thank you

6. neigy

neigy New Member

Feb 18, 2016
    We live in southern Idaho. So, the winters are cold with a fair amount of snow too. What concern would you have with it because it has no windows?

7. neigy

neigy New Member

Feb 18, 2016
    I'm not very talented when it comes to building things. So unless I had very detailed instructions on how to build a structure myself, I unfortunately wouldn't be comfortable building something with my own hands. Know of any detailed plans for a lean-to or shelter that would be good?

8. ksalvagno

ksalvagno Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

No ventilation. I guess I like the ability to open or close windows as the need arises.

9. neigy

neigy New Member

Feb 18, 2016
    That is unfortunate. I would hope that a 1,400 dollar item would be good...What about the polydome one-piece super hut? It's made of one piece of plastic, so no worries for leaking there, and isn't as big as the mega hut but could be a good alternative to the mega hut. The only thing that I don't know is if its smaller footprint could accommodate a milking area?

What other alternatives are there that would serve at 5 or so dwarf goats and a milking area indoors in the same structure so we don't have to milk in the rain and with enough head room so we don't have to crouch..

Last edited: Feb 19, 2016
  10. neigy

neigy New Member

Feb 18, 2016
    Hmm...Windows would be useful.

11. Damfino

Damfino Well-Known Member

Dec 29, 2013
    Right behind you
    The Super Hut looks like it has the same problems as the Mega Hut. It is not actually all one piece, but is a bunch of pieces screwed together. Looking at both, I realize the one I saw at the dealer was a Super Hut, so I've never actually seen the Mega Hut. My apologies for the confusion.

For the size you're looking at, have you considered something like a FarmTek building? I've heard good things about them, and I'm pretty sure I read somewhere in their catalog that they'll send someone out to assemble it for you if you're not into building things yourself. You could probably get something slightly bigger than the Mega Hut for a similar or even lower price.

12. goathiker

goathiker I'm watching you Staff Member Supporting Member

That's what I was going to suggest... A prefab shed. We have many companies here that will bring them out and set them up in our area. They will even do a rent to own contract on them.