The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here's my current set-up for my two 7 1/2 month old Boer cross doelings:

Their "shed" is 12 ft long, 8 ft wide, and the shortest height is 6 ft (the roof slants). This is where my girls spend their nights and mornings (until noon). It is closed up while they are in there (there are two windows with screens, and a door that is cut in half...you can unlatch it to open the upper half of the door). After noon I put them in one of two "runs"...both about an acre in size. I rotate which one I put them in.

In one of the "runs" (not sure what I should call them...where the goats go to browse. I have chickens, so I call them runs LOL) my step-dad built a smaller goat shed. It's not finished yet...the roof needs to be sealed, he plans on putting a "porch" on it, as well as a swinging door for them to get in and out by just pushing on it, so when it's cold or foul weather, they will be protected from it. I am also going to "insulate" it as well. Across from the shed is a small building that has their hay feeder and water bucket. I'm attaching some pics so you can see.

Anyhoo, I am wondering if the shed he built is big enough to move them into permanently. Right now I am the one who makes the decision if they can come out of their current shed. These being my first goats ever, I am still learning...and a bit overprotective...so they tend to spend more time inside their shed than out. I would like to move them to the smaller shed so they have the choice to stay in or out...the shed is in a fenced-in area, so they can't "get out" of the run. I could put a locking/latching door on the shed instead of a swinging door to protect them from predators if necessary. My concern is moving them from a big shed to a little shed. The little shed measures 7ft long by 7 ft wide, with the height on each side being 4 ft. It tapers up in the middle for the roof.

What are any thoughts on this? Come spring I am getting more chickens, and my current coop is not large enough so I was planning on building a second coop out of free/recycled materials (can't afford to spend a lot on materials). If I can move the goats out to the small shed, I can just covert their current shed into another coop.

Thanks for any input!

Attachments

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Seven by seven should be plenty big enough if they can come and go as they please. The building with the visible pallets is awesome! Did you make that? It's great!
Sorry it's taken so long for me to reply...have been having rooster issues :tears:

I made the pallet walls, my stepdad did the roof and the planks on the outside. He plans on putting a porch on it :)

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Id do a small loafing area outside of the shelter so they dont have to stay inside. Even a few combo panels with small gate would work enough.
I'm lost. could you explain with a little detail what you mean? First time here with goats...don't have terminology down pat yet :p

·
Super Moderator
59,944 Posts
He is talking about a smaller fence area around your shed so they don't have to be locked in the shed. Then they could be outside if they wanted but contained to a small fenced area.

Dog kennel panels work great for that.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts