The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm purchasing several Nubians. Our barn is a pole barn 12' high, 25' by 25' wide and enclosed on three sides. Unfortunate the one open side faces north. We live on the Gulf coast and it seldom freezes but the wind does blow a lot. I'm concerned they may get cold in the winter. I am wondering if I should build a small shelter with in the barn. Would a shelter 4'x4'x8' and 4' high with a plywood roof be ok? I don't know if that is high enough to give them head room and would they be able to jump on top and then hurt themselves jumping back off? I don't want any sick goats or broken legs. I though 4x4x8 would be easy to make out of 4x8 sheets of plywood.

·
Registered
279 Posts
Just put couple walls inside the barn to block the wind. Don't even have to be tall. Just enough they can go behind them away from the wind. They'll be fine.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm planning on building two 8'x10' pens inside the barn next to the south wall. The 10' side would have a 4' gate opening into the open barn area. I guess I could make the remaining 6' a solid wall that would give each pen a wind break. Would that be a sufficient wind break?

·
Registered
279 Posts
If you have the pen openings (gates) face W or E, it would certainly be sufficient for blocking the wind. Even if the gates face north, the 6' wall is sufficient to block wind.

·
Dave (TDG Farms) S.E. Washington State
4,956 Posts
Low shelters are a pain to muck. Anyway of adding to the open side? Put like a 8 or 10 foot lean too up against it and have an opening then on the east or west side. I wouldnt do half walls cause you are still going to get a far amount of wind and the two things you wanna avoid is wet and wind during the winter time. So I would do what ever it takes to make it draft free in their living area.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts