Goat Show in GA?????

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by HollowbeadRanch, Jan 23, 2009.

1. HollowbeadRanch

HollowbeadRanch New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    NW Alabama
    I remember seeing something about a goat show that is held in GA sometime in the summer.... does anyone know what I am talking about??? And is anyone planning on going to it??

Also, does anyone know if any shows that go on in southern TN?? Just trying to find some that might actually be close enough for me to go to :greengrin:

2. Sweet Gum Minis

Sweet Gum Minis New Member

Oct 6, 2007
    Easley, SC
    georgiagoat.com click on calendar for upcoming shows. Carrollton I believe is first this year in April.

3. HollowbeadRanch

Oct 5, 2007
    NW Alabama
    THANK YOU!!!!! Are you going to either of those shows?? I was just thinking if alot of people on here were going that I might try to make one of them.

4. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    even if they arent you should go! they are a lot of fun to go to and I enjoy talking to the people -- just come early before all the crazyness starts and hang around and people will feel more like you want to talk then just look at the cute goats

5. Sweet Gum Minis

Oct 6, 2007
    Easley, SC
    Yes, I am to make myself go to as many as I can this year. Its hard though with two small children who have no interest in the goat showing. LOL

6. HollowbeadRanch

Oct 5, 2007
    NW Alabama
    Thanks Stacey! I am hoping to get to go to ATLEAST one of them! :leap: I just have to rope someone into going with me.... I hate traveling without someone with me and my Hubby will be out of state working...

Ashley- If I do end up going to one I will let you know! AND (I REALLY shouldn't be asking this...) do you ever bring goats with you for sale or that people have bought for them to pick up?? Just wandering....

7. Sweet Gum Minis

Oct 6, 2007
    Easley, SC
    Yes I have brought goats to shows that were to be picked up. Thus far though, I haven't brought goats for sale. I rarely seem to have any to bring then. But this year could very well be different so we'll see. I could bring something if someone wanted to see it too.

8. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    I have offered to take goats to the show if people want to see them or purchase -- and that would be something I would ask someone if they were a distance and we happened to be going to the same show. I know people do it all the time.

9. HollowbeadRanch

Oct 5, 2007
    NW Alabama
    Ashley- Do you know if you will be going to the Carrollton show on April 25th or the Monroe show on May 30th (I think I got those dates right)?? I noticed that the Monroe show says "Nigerian Dwarf Specialty" under its listing.

Stacey- That is another reason why I was asking if anyone was going :greengrin: I am really hoping to get my herd going good this Spring and it would be SO NICE if I could get a grown Doe or two delivered to one of those shows! (killing two birds with one stone so to speak :thumb: ) Plus I would REALLY like to see how the shows work, and who knows... maybe next year I will take some Nigis to show at one of them :greengrin: But right now I am a COMPLETE green horn as far as bloodlines, conformation, and shows goes... so I would really like to learn all I can! Plus I figured if there were some people there that I know off of here then they could help me understand exactly what is going on in the ring and everything :wink: As long as they didn't mind. I definitely wouldn't want to inconvenience anyone.

10. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    The show I went to when I picked up Sweet Pea this young guy Jeff was so into showing that he stopped by every so often to fill me in on what was going on. He was really helpful and wow I felt like Yah I could do this. Then Teri Stanton took me under her wing and I went to my first few shows, then Beth Meriolis has been helping me, just stick your nose out a bit and you will see that people are so willing to help.

11. HollowbeadRanch

Oct 5, 2007
    NW Alabama
    Thank you! I am REALLY REALLY excited about getting started with some registered Nigis! And so far everyone I have talked to has been EXTREMELY nice and helpful! I wish they had dairy goat shows closer to here... When I had Boers they had a show here in Cullman... I wander what it takes to put the bug in someone's ear to do one there.... :shrug:

12. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    all shows are way north of me (closest one is over an hour and a half away) so I just sent off an email to the lady I have been in most contact with about how easy it is to put on a show. Because I would love to have one closer to home. Friends of ours have a horse farm but not sure if there is enough room for everyone's vehicals unfortunatly. But I want to first find out the ins and outs of putting on a show.

13. HollowbeadRanch

Oct 5, 2007
    NW Alabama
    The place in Cullman (which is just an hour from here) has PLENTY of room for a show (since they had the Boer show there)... I just don't know of anyone that would put it on :shrug:

14. Sweet Gum Minis

Oct 6, 2007
    Easley, SC
    I've been to Carrollton before and do plan to go to it again this year. I'm not sure if I'd have any adult does this year to sell. I reduced my herd a lot last fall so there's only a couple who "might" be available after kidding and a lot of that will depend on whether we get a good number of doelings born or not.

I want to go to a lot more shows this year than I have in the past. You'll meet a lot of good breeders at the shows and definitely learn about confirmation watching and listening to the judge's comments on each goat and who they place at the top of the line. However, each judge is different so even if there's 2 rings, you can have two totally different goats at the top of the line. Its fun and a great way to see those famous udders in person though.

15. HollowbeadRanch

Oct 5, 2007
    NW Alabama
    Thanks Ashley! I will keep that in mind, and I may try to make it to the Carrollton show! :thumb:

16. Amy Goatress

Amy Goatress New Member

Oct 1, 2008
    Carrollton isn't too far from me but we don't do shows though, we have some goats living in Carrollton right now.