The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Any tips for a beginner at goat showing? Training, equipment, actually showing, grooming...?

I have two pure bred alpine does that I am planning to show in August. They are being register in ADGA. But, I’ve never shown before and have no idea what I’m doing...

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
449 Posts
Find a show in your area before the show you want to go to and go watch. Talk to the people showing. Most dairy goat folks are super friendly and love to talk about their goats.

Dairy is pretty basic for grooming. 10 to 14 days before the show bathe and clip the does with a 10 blade. Clip everything! Faces, legs, and pay close attention to the udder area. If the does are in milk clip the udder the evening before with a 50 blade or shave with a razor.
You’ll need a couple dog choke chains. I get them small enough to use a little clip so the chain can’t go over the head.
Set up the doe with her front legs straight underneath her and her hind legs straight with the hock directly under the pin bone. Teach the does to walk slowly with their heads up high.
Have fun!

·
Registered
778 Posts
I am going to be honest, I still am learning. I show myotonics so really have no idea about dairy. However, I did get to watch a big ADGA show down in MO last year and it is interesting. So may differences between the 2 registries. As someone mentioned, find a show, go watch, find a nice exhibitor or their family and ask questions!

·
Premium Member
4,674 Posts
Any tips for a beginner at goat showing? Training, equipment, actually showing, grooming...?

I have two pure bred alpine does that I am planning to show in August. They are being register in ADGA. But, I've never shown before and have no idea what I'm doing...

Thanks in advance!
@Goat Whisperer shows a lot.

·
Registered
1,377 Posts
@CBPitts had some great answers! There is also a product called Show Sheen you can spray on your goat's coat to give it a shiny appearance. Be sure to have their hooves trimmed and cleaned. You can use a toothbrush to remove the dirt. Judges like to see the hooves and inside of the ears coated with Vaseline. Make sure their tattoos in their ears are clearly seen. If they are registered, they will already have tattoos on their ears however if they are not registered and they don't have tattoos you may need to get somebody to do it or do it yourself.
Hope this helps!
And, the most important thing in a show, smile and HAVE FUN!

·
Registered
170 Posts
1 - 9 of 9 Posts