The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a ten week old buck that started acting ill a few days ago. Vet says he has no idea what it wrong. Fecal good. Started on IV fluids, banamine and antibiotics. Pushing fluids. Anyone have any idea?

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
What kind of symptoms is he having?

·
Registered
31,462 Posts
What is his temp?
is he depressed acting
star gazing
off feed
howshis poop? has he peed, color of lower inner eye lids??
tell us all about whas going on so we have a visual of how he is feeling...

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
His fecal was fine. His eyelids are good. He is peeing and pooping. Just very weak and lethargic. Acting better this evening but he has had an iv today of fluids. He was still with his momma but trying to bottle feed him in the house. Vet says not much chance.

·
Registered
31,462 Posts
you say low grade temp as in below 100 or just a little high...

·
Registered
31,462 Posts
if he has a low temp..under 100 he needs to be warmed up be for milk...he wont be able to digest it....he will need both C D Antitoxin and Thiamine....he could have eaten something that is shutting his Rumen down ..do you have any plants that could make him sick

If he had a slight fever, then the meds your vet gave should help him feel better..I would also give cd antitoxin and thiamine to help him through this....

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
He has been on Baycox at 4 weeks and then 21 days. Due again today. I have vit b complex injectable which has100mg / ml thiamine. Will this work? He is still not doing good. Pushing fluids. He will take a bottle of milk. His temp yesterday was 100.6.

·
Registered
3,540 Posts
Make sure to keep him warm and check his temp again

Coccidia is not shed in all feces. It can take several to actually see it. I do preventative treatments to be sure.

·
Registered
3,540 Posts
How old is he? I agree with happybleats on the possible plant poisoning or rumen shutting down.... the rumen shutting down can really lower the temp.

·
Registered
3,540 Posts
Yes you want 101.5-103 for goats usually. I'd try giving probios too for his rumen.

·
Registered
31,462 Posts
If he will take a bottle give him electrolytes instead of IV fluids...that is very stressful and if he will drink its better...here is a yummy recipe most all goats will gobble up..Also he needs CD Antitoxin with him rumen function so low and Probios to help kick up the flora..
Baycox is awesome for cocci but I would not treat again until I have a fecal done...
So Electros
Vit. B
Thiamine
CDAntitoxin
and probios is what I recommend
You can give the Thiamine and B together in one shot...save a poke...: )

Homemade Electrolytes

A half gallon of hot water
2-6 Tablespoons of Unsulphured Blackstrap Molasses
1-2 Tablespoons of Either Sea Salt, Epsom Salt, Baking Soda or Table Salt.
1 cup of Apple Cider Vinegar

Mix well and drench or let them drink it. Most of mine love this stuff unlike the electrolytes you buy..

When I looked on the back of the electrolytes bag at ingredients the main ingredients were Sugars, Sodium/salts and Potassium along with vitamin and minerals..

Molasses is a sugar with Vitamins and Minerals

Of course the salts are hopefully self explanatory..

Apple Cider Vinegar contains potassium..

This is much cheaper than those tiny bags of electrolytes and usually you have these ingredients on hand.

·
Registered
31,462 Posts
Yes.. 100.6 is low..., I would give him some sun and see if you cant get that up some..I would also not give milk right now..maybe tonight if his temp is up..make sure he has hay to nibble on...helps the rumen function...Your doing great with him...

Now to fingure the why...the rumen shuts down do to
enterotoxemia, which is basically over eating on rich food, grain, grass, wet graze..too much graze ect...
Poison: plants, chemicals, trees
Shock: any sudden change in feed, weather, graze, home ect...
Goat Polio: caused my mold in food and hay, sudden changes ect...
Untreated illness..

Im sure there are other reasons but these are the most common..so from this list, what seems to fit in your little mans case???

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
He is 10 weeks old. Dont think he could have eaten anything. He is in the house, in a tote with shavings. I shut the vent so no AC in that room.

·
Registered
31,462 Posts
so he is a bottle baby being raised in house? No house plants he could have nibbled on...cat or dog food?? I would take his kennel out to the sun..the fresh air and warm sun might help perk him up some...Hows his temp now?? Is he any less lethargic?

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Pouring rain. No he hasnt been a bottle baby in the house. He has been in the barn and goat lot with his momma and twin brother. Brought him in house when he got sick. When my kids get home to help me i will take his temp again. Can i get cd antitoxin at a farm store or from the vet?

·
Registered
31,462 Posts
some farm stores carry it...I have to order mine...you can call the vet and see..many times they dont even know what your talking about lol...they think you want Tetanus antitoxin or CD&T both are wrong..here is a link to show you what C D Antitoxin is http://goat-link.com/content/view/159/168/#.Uaugr2SDQxc

If you cant find it you can give him Milk of magnsia..( MOM) It too will bind any toxins..but may cause the he runs..if so let it run its course..as it cleans out the toxins...keep him well hydrated..

to warm himif his temp is still low..cover his kennel with a blanket and warm the air inside with a blow dryer...dont blow it in him..just upward to warm the air...you want it above 100 but 101.5 is ideal...

1 - 20 of 42 Posts