The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had a goat that recently got stuck in the geese about a week ago and got trampled by other goats and I'm pretty positive she aborted her kid but I gave her some penicillin and she seemed better but not Complety Which seems normal after an abortion but yesterday she was walking and now can't stand up and in an extreme amount of pain when I hold her in standing position and I thought maybe I thought maybe internal bleeding but that doesn't explain the legs should I put her down ? Or is there something I can do ?

·
Premium Member
15,205 Posts
What's her temperature?
Does she have discharge and if so what does it look like? And how much?
How long did you give her penicillin?

It could be that her kids died and have not been expelled causing toxins to build up. If that is the case and the kids are not removed, she will die.
Since you thought she aborted, but didn't find dead kids? I'm thinking maybe that's the issue.

For goats that are very sick, go down, and won't get up. It is an emergency case and I would recommend taking her to the vet.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks it's sad yet frustrating I don't have a good vet near by and I'm 16 raising goats in a family who are not farmers so I'm on my own and a lot of people have different opinions about vaccination and every thing else that involves raising them and I seem to always learn by a goat getting the brunt of it ..... Can you vaccinate for polio ? Or no because it's a vitamin thing I've found oral vitamin b but not powder that I could just lead out for them all the time

·
Shady Acre Homestead
14,229 Posts
Here is a site with some info on treating goat polio.I know it is crucial to start aggressive treatment right away...
http://www.goatsuppliesandservices.com/page/476923588

This treatment is apparently newer...the girls on here have good results with their treatment too and it does not require the "Future Star" or anti-inflammatory shots, but it may be something you want to look into since you have lost one to it. Good luck :)

·
Shady Acre Homestead
14,229 Posts
Here is what the article says about absorption....what do you guys think?

Future Star contains a synergist balance of key vitamins for optimal health. It also contains a unique ingredient that is key to treating goat polio, called DeltaZorb. Sick goats are likely to have digestive/absorption problems. DeltaZorb naturally increases the permeability of the walls of the intestinal tract, allowing more nutrients to pass into the bloodstream, significantly increasing the amount of nutrition delivered, up to 160%. What that means to your goat is when they get Future Star, DeltaZorb boosts the absorption of not only the vitamins in Future Star but also the B1 you gave them orally, getting it into their system faster, which stops the neurological damage and speeds up the recovery process.

·
Super Moderator
32,192 Posts
I agree, if I had a goat with polio I wouldn't want to hope the oral worked, their metabolism is so fast I can't see it being very effective. I would do the injections...

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.