Goat sick unsure why

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by goatweed, Mar 24, 2009.

1. goatweed

goatweed New Member

Feb 29, 2008
    Lost our prize buck this morning. His brother might be turning the corner, but I am mostly concerned about a pregnant doe that has come down with whatever it is. Bad diarrhea, weight loss, off feed, and no energy at all. She was the healthiest, prettiest one we had. Anyway, any sure sign to tell if its worms or cocci? Her gums and eyelids are pretty white, but i didnt know if cocci would do that. I dont have long. Her diarrhea is kinda red-brown-orange colored. I always thought cocci was pretty black. Anyway, giving her pepto like there is no tomorrow. Wormed her last week with levamisole and again Sunday with ivermectin. Giving lots of red cell and her water is re-sorb. Been drenching her with the resorb. Gave her 6oz. at lunch today. Will try to give more tonight if she is still here. Oh yeah, we also gave her 2 shots of LA-200. I have Sulmet to treat for cocci. I bought some more nutri drench today. Will give more of that tonight too. I have probios paste for her Rumen, but waiting to let the LA clear her system, right??? Anyway, what do I do???? How the heck do you know what it is causing this???

Help please,
    Brad

2. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
    Re: EMERGENCY

Have you gotten a fecal done on her? that is the first place you should start. I would get her to the vet if she is going down that fast. I would not wait.

I am sorry that you lost your buck, that is horrible.

Crissa just lost her doe to Cocci and she didn't have any of the normal symptoms of Cocci either. That is what I would say it is and she will need more then the Sulmet to fight this. GET HER TO A VET NOW.

I will be praying for her and you :pray:

3. goatweed

goatweed New Member

Feb 29, 2008

i've seen somwhere on here (cant find it anywhere) that lists normal temperatures and what it means if they are high and low. low is rumen, right? something like that.

4. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ

low temp usualy means the rumen isnt functioning. But I had a doe with a low temp last fall and she was rumenating fine. Ended up she had an infection (she had other signs that made me believe this to be the case) treated with Pen and she cleared up.

I high recomend doing as Sweetgoats says and get a fecal done on her. also get an accurate weight so you can treat accordingly and not under dose her (which is worse then not dosing at all many times).

5. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.

Correct, High is infection, low rumen is shutting down.

6. goatweed

goatweed New Member

Feb 29, 2008

gonna take a fecal tomorrow. finally found a goat vet 30 miles away. gotta figure out how to do them myself. anyway, this doe is not good. gonna just keep pumping her full of all these additives. even if it's not cocci, the sulmet shouldn't hurt her, right? i may start that tonight just in case it is cocci so she may make it through to tomorrow.

what is the normal temp? 101-104?????

7. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ

yah that would be their normal temp.

8. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.

Good Luck, I hope she makes it through the night. :pray:

9. Crissa

Crissa New Member

Oct 7, 2007
    Cashion, Oklahoma

Yeah my best girl died of cocci on Friday, so I would definitely get her checked for that ASAP. Most of those symptoms actually sound similar to mine, except for the poop. I sure hope she makes it until you can get her to the vet. :pray:

10. goatweed

goatweed New Member

Feb 29, 2008
    Forgot to update everyone. Lost her that night. Did a fecal before she died and they said there were about 100 eggs on the slide. Stomach worms. Had given levamisole 2 weeks prior and ivermectin a week later due to no improvement. Guess which wormers i wont be using anymore!

11. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    goatweed....I am so sorry for your loss.....that is so sad..... :( :hug:

12. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    those two wormers might not be effective in your area OR they were not dosed high enough to rid her of the worms.

In the future I would try something like Cydectin for worm to be on the safe side with what may or may not work.

Sorry you lost your doe :(

13. AlaskaBoers

AlaskaBoers New Member

May 6, 2008
    Wasilla Alaska
    sorry you lost her :hug:

14. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    So sorry :hug:

Those wormers are likely either resistant or not dosed high enough. Stacey mentioned one to try, dealing with parasites can be an uphill battle if the worms have become resistant.

15. Jenna

Jenna New Member

Jan 7, 2009
    I am sorry you lost her!! :grouphug: :hug:

Yes, either she was resistant to the wormer it didn't work in your area or the does was not right. My vet told me that even if you deworm and they have a lot of worms they can keep getting re-infected if there stall isn't cleaned extremely well every night. :shrug:

16. Shantarskiye

Shantarskiye Member

Apr 15, 2009
    Indiana
    I would get her to the vet (or the vet to her) as soon as possible! White eyelids usually means worms.