Goat sits when trying to milk her...

Discussion in 'Dairy Diaries' started by bree00, Jul 16, 2010.

1. bree00

bree00 New Member

Jun 8, 2009
    South Carolina
    We have been trying to let her rejected baby suck her but she sits, how do you stop this??

2. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    Have you tried tying up one back leg.. ?
    If she sits or tries....stop her and make her get up.... keep at her ...cause you are the boss.... :wink: :thumb:

3. bree00

bree00 New Member

Jun 8, 2009
    South Carolina
    there minis by the way and we tried the twine and the bucket tricks...but none work

4. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    Hold up a back leg, if she still tries to go down hold it higher.

5. pennylullabelle

pennylullabelle New Member

Position her head upright. I use a sheep shearing stand for my girl that sits. Nothing else worked - even having my hubby hold a back leg. So, I position her head in the shear head-lock and keep it upright. Her spine is only so long so if you position her head upright to the point where she just has enough room to stand on her front feet she cannot sit down. Good luck!

6. 4kids

4kids New Member

Jul 21, 2009
    My lovely doe, Clementine, always sat that first year I milked her. I just propered her A** on my leg and milked over her back. Now she stands. I guess she figured I am as tenacious as she is!

7. Thanatos

Thanatos New Member

Mar 16, 2009
    Lake Ariel, Pa
    Luna Used to do this as well.... I ended up making a saw horse kinda thing for the stand and when we put her in it went under her sternum. when she woud try to sit she would lay on it and it would keep her up.