The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
361 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I hope y'all don't mind me asking, but what do you do about your goats when you leave town for a couple of days? Do you ask friends to help out with feedings and such? Are there "goat-sitters" you can hire, and if so, how do you find them? I love my goats, but it sure would be nice to be able to get away once in a while, even if it's just overnight.

·
Registered
3,060 Posts
We just ask friends to take care of our animals while we are gone, which can sometimes be up to a week. And we do usually pay them unless, as in one case, they just want to do it for the experience. :)
I like to have people that have animals - other than cats/dogs - "babysit" our farm because we've had more success that way. ;)

This past summer when we were gone for a week we had a friend's son (they do 4-H and have animals, also the mom is a vet so that was a plus!) watch everybody.
Then only two goats (mamas with kids) had to be fed, and to make things easier we put them in a separate area so that he didn't have to fight the others to get those two out with each feeding...

We write a detailed list (one for morning, one for evening chores) with every single thing they have to do. And we try to keep everything as simple as possible: with round bales of hay set out (for goats and our cows), all the caretaker really needs to do is fill water troughs, feed chickens, feed the few goats that need it, and just generally keep an eye on everybody.

We also walk them through each chore before we leave. :)

·
Premium Member
1,117 Posts
I have a family of farmers nearby that shares in the chores. They get the milk the day they come. So, I just ask them to pull in a few more days. They also give me fresh veggies in trade.
When they go on vacation I have to be nose to the grindstone.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts