The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I rescued this older Boer mix doe in November. She was skinny, infested in lice and mites and who knows what else. I treated her back then and she’s improved but we are still struggling to get to the bottom of it.
i do not have a good goat vet in the area.
my LA vet said he thought it looked like a skin infection and to wash her in a Lyme sulphur soap. So we’ve done that but that was all the help I got.
She’s itchy but not as bad anymore.
I have one other goat who I never see itch. He doesn’t have bald patches but his hair coat is definitely courser(since bringing the doe home). We do a copper bolus every 6 months too. THINGS WEVE TRIED
1. permethrin topically
2. Ivomec injections once weekly for 3 weeks
3. Dewormed (has a clean fecal now)
4. Diatomaceous Earth
5. Medicated baths
6. Lyme suphur dips

She is on pasture and grass hay, no feed currently.
what else can I try?
first picture is the day we brought her home (in the back of the truck) . The rest are from this morning.
EFA66D83-47D0-4A87-8856-BAA7AB99CAAE.jpeg

·
Registered
Kinder Goat Breeder
3,624 Posts
Hopefully someone more knowledgeable will chime in, but I have a thought. What if you shaved her? I know mites do not like sunshine so maybe that would work. Don't do it without someone more experienced to chime in. Also depending on where you are it may still be too cold to do that.

I see the scabs on her legs so it's probably not this alone, but is she getting any zinc supplementation?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
No zinc yet. Someone I know recommended that as well recently. What do I get? Just like people zinc tablets?
that may help. I’ve brushed her a lot but never shaved her. We are in Indiana so I can’t guarantee it won’t dip back down really cold. It’s rainy and lows in the 40s this week so I’m not sure she would be ready for that but maybe soon.
the scabs on her legs are better I think but we just aren’t making any more progress now. It seems to have plateaued and idk what to do!
thank you for your input

·
Registered
Kinder Goat Breeder
3,624 Posts
Yes, you can use human zinc pills. I've done 50 mg once a day for a weeks and then reassess in a week after the last dose. I've heard other dosages too. @NigerianDwarfOwner707 might have some more recent knowledge that might be better. Another question I have for you is do have loose minerals out free choice for her?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts