The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Seems like we are having some kind of skin thing going on with our boer meat goats. Some bare skin on ear tips and patches on a couple of their bodies without hair.

We have 10 goats and 3 or 4 are affected. Need to do a thorough straw/manure clean out but been so wet in SE Michigan.

I thought mange mites and treated a couple with Ivermectin but not sure if anything has helped so far. Any other ideas or treatments? Does it eventually go away or get worse? Two of them are meat goat kids that go to fair in late July so I need to really watch them for medication withdrawl.

thanks in advance, moday

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
question

I don't have Ivomec right now...what am I treating for?
I have Ivermectin but that is a pour on skin thing (blue in color) and I'm almost out. I have used Ivomec in the past but that was a wormer.

I have Cydectin and Valbazen available both those are my sheep and goat wormers. I was told to use on sheep and the other on goat and then switch next year only as needed per the vet. This was so not to over-medicate.

Will anything I have replace the Ivomec suggestion?

thanks, Moday

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
When you mention Ivomec, is that also Ivermectin that I've been using?

Any kind of dusting or what is the Ivomec drug you recommend? There is the small brown bottle of stuff that is called IVOMEC by name. I think it's a sub-q injection or do you give that orally??

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I see Ivomec that comes pour on or injectable. I guess either works. I got a feeling that Ivermectin works too.

Am I correct or thinking too hard? thanks, Moday

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Skin is a bit flaky where the hair is gone...I think Ivermecin is ok that I have but I will see about buying Ivomec injection too. Need to clean barns and get old straw out. That may not be helping as the wet nasty weather we've had lately is not making for good goat living quarters.

thanks, MO

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.