Goat staring into space

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by toomanychickens, Feb 11, 2018.

1. toomanychickens

toomanychickens New Member

Jun 3, 2016
    NW Georgia
    My 11 month old doe(ling) is stating off into space. Her temp is 101.9, and I checked her eyes, maybe a bit pale, but not alarmingly so. She seemed fine this morning, although I have noticed some diarrhea. I don't know that it was hers. It has been incredibly rainy here, maybe that is a factor? She is definitely off, she mostly is keeping a way from the rest of the herd. What could cause her strange behavior?

2. Suzanne_Tyler

Suzanne_Tyler GreenTGoats

Jul 19, 2014
    US
    Can you get a fecal done?

3. Kath G.

Kath G. Well-Known Member

Jul 13, 2017
    Wisconsin
    I'd look hard at listeriosis and/or polio. If she were mine & she's staring off into space and acting off, I'd give her a shot of B-complex (6 mL/100 lbs) right now; then come back & read up on both. A fecal would be a good idea but the B-complex wouldn't hurt, and if it's polio (or listeriosis), quick treatment is key.

Last edited: Feb 11, 2018
    SalteyLove and goatblessings like this.
  4. toomanychickens

toomanychickens New Member

Jun 3, 2016
    NW Georgia
    I don't have the equipment for a fecal. I have her B Complex shot, penicillin shot, probiotic, and an herbal wormer.

5. Jessica84

Jessica84 Well-Known Member

Oct 27, 2011
    California
    I agree very much with both! The key to both polio and listeriosis is to act fast. Also it seems there is a good amount of reasons why a goat will get polio and one of the reasons is parasites, so with the not so great lids and runs I would get that fecal

Kath G. and goatblessings like this.
  6. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    Any eye darting, drooling, head going to one side, circling?
    Stargazing is another.
    I would start treatment right away, every 6 hours until all symptoms are gone and then, continue another 48 hours slowly weaning the goat off of it. So every 6 hours to 8 hours and so on. Unless the goat relapses increase again to every 6 hours again.

Get a fecal for worms and cocci from your vet.