The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 11 month old doe(ling) is stating off into space. Her temp is 101.9, and I checked her eyes, maybe a bit pale, but not alarmingly so. She seemed fine this morning, although I have noticed some diarrhea. I don't know that it was hers. It has been incredibly rainy here, maybe that is a factor? She is definitely off, she mostly is keeping a way from the rest of the herd. What could cause her strange behavior?

·
Registered
621 Posts
I'd look hard at listeriosis and/or polio. If she were mine & she's staring off into space and acting off, I'd give her a shot of B-complex (6 mL/100 lbs) right now; then come back & read up on both. A fecal would be a good idea but the B-complex wouldn't hurt, and if it's polio (or listeriosis), quick treatment is key.

·
Administrator
85,573 Posts
Any eye darting, drooling, head going to one side, circling?
Stargazing is another.
I would start treatment right away, every 6 hours until all symptoms are gone and then, continue another 48 hours slowly weaning the goat off of it. So every 6 hours to 8 hours and so on. Unless the goat relapses increase again to every 6 hours again.

Get a fecal for worms and cocci from your vet.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.