The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Our goat delivered her two babies yesterday at 2:30pm. Everything seemed to go fine. But she did not deliver her placenta. She went on grazing and was starting to nurse. We left her in the pen with her kids overnight. This morning we found her not wanting to eat. She will not let the kids nurse. She was pushing and contracting all day. I thought it was to get the placenta out, which she did finally deliver this afternoon. But she is still contracting and is grinding her teeth in pain. We contacted the vet. He could not come out, but gave us antibiotic and pain killer with some electrolytes to give her. Said if she is not better by morning, he will come out. I am concerned she won’t make it through the night. What could be causing her to still contract? A third baby?? The vet seemed to think it was caused by her placenta not coming out right away. :( Has anyone ever experienced this with their doe?

·
Registered
91 Posts
I don't have any advice and have not had this situation - I'm just replying to get this back on top. Surely someone has some good advice?

·
Registered
1,733 Posts
Very slight contractions are normal until the placenta drops, but heavy contractions and pushing are not. If that’s still happening, you need to check for another kid.

·
Registered
91 Posts
What is rhe best way to do that? Try to feel inside?
Glove up or wash hands, probably have to use lube or I've heard vegetable oil if it's somewhat dry since so long after birth, yes, put your whole hand up in there, see if you feel anything, a hoof, a head. But like the other person said, is it hard contractions?

I'm afraid if it's hard contractions something is wrong.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Glove up or wash hands, probably have to use lube or I've heard vegetable oil if it's somewhat dry since so long after birth, yes, put your whole hand up in there, see if you feel anything, a hoof, a head. But like the other person said, is it hard contractions?

I'm afraid if it's hard contractions something is wrong.
Yes she is pushing hard like when she was birthing the other two. Is it safe to pull if I feel another kid? I don’t want to rupture her? Should I wait for vet to come in the morning? We did give her a shot of antibiotic and an anti inflammatory and some electrolytes.

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
She probably has a dead kid that isn't in position. You absolutely need to use some type of lubricant and stick you hand in gently to see if you can feel a kid. If you feel a kid, you have to try to help her get it out.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Yes she is pushing hard like when she was birthing the other two. Is it safe to pull if I feel another kid? I don’t want to rupture her? Should I wait for vet to come in the morning? We did give her a shot of antibiotic and an anti inflammatory and some electrolytes.
#1 Just see if you can feel anything and go from there.

#2 If there is a baby, I would try to get the kid in a good position. I would try to get it out but that's me. Chances are if you can get in a good position it will come out but if you can't get it out I would be afraid it would be dire circumstances for the doe. Unfortunate your vet was not able to come out and if it's like around here, no real after hours vet. She really needs a vet if you can feel a baby and it can't come out. You have my sympathies, stressful stuff!

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
#1 Just see if you can feel anything and go from there.

#2 If there is a baby, I would try to get the kid in a good position. I would try to get it out but that's me. Chances are if you can get in a good position it will come out but if you can't get it out I would be afraid it would be dire circumstances for the doe. Unfortunate your vet was not able to come out and if it's like around here, no real after hours vet. She really needs a vet if you can feel a baby and it can't come out. You have my sympathies, stressful stuff!
Thank you. It has been an extremely stressful day. I tested positive for covid two days ago so I am trying to micromanage this from a distance since I am quarantining from my husband and daughter. Anything I do has to be done with a mask and gloves.. and on my own! (Or... delegated to my husband.) He checked to see if there was another kid and assured me he could not feel anything. But our exhausted doe has finally stopped pushing and is resting now..(maybe the pain killer and antibiotic we picked up at the vets office kicked in). And they got the one baby to nurse for a short time before shutting them all in the shelter for the night. Hopefully we will have improvement by morning and we can get the vet out here to see what is going on! I’m concerned we could possibly lose all three of them if things don’t change quickly. Thanks so much for your help! I appreciate it very much!

·
Registered
91 Posts
Good luck! Hope it all turns out well! If you think about it, update us hopefully with good news. And hope your covid turns out okay too. Husband and I both had it, I was sick but recovered quickly. He was really sick, hospitalized and took him months to get over, he's finally shaking the cough from the covid pneumonia and he was otherwise healthy. Weird some people get it so bad and others not at all.

·
Registered
291 Posts
I pray your doe pulls through!... really sorry you are dealing with this❤
If you're not already giving it to her... high doses vitamin C helps with any kind of infection...Im sure it helped my doe get over a difficult miscarriage. Most goats will readily eat the chewable kinds for humans

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Good luck! Hope it all turns out well! If you think about it, update us hopefully with good news. And hope your covid turns out okay too. Husband and I both had it, I was sick but recovered quickly. He was really sick, hospitalized and took him months to get over, he's finally shaking the cough from the covid pneumonia and he was otherwise healthy. Weird some people get it so bad and others not at all.
Hello! I am glad to hear that you and your husband have both fully recovered. It is very strange how uniquely it affects each person. I am concerned about my husband and daughter. As of last night, they were still symptom free. But they were exposed before I knew that I had it. So I feel to blame if they get ill.
My update is not a happy one. After two days of watching our sweet goat suffer, she died last night around 8:00. The vet believes it was trauma from delivery. Her first kid was stuck. So my husband tried to assist her after she had pushed for over an hour. He pulled as she pushed and kept trying to stretch her opening so she could get him out. I thought we would lose the kid but he perked up once she started cleaning him. The second one came flying out right after. She was grazing and we thought she was fine and breathed a sigh of relief.

By the next morning she was lethargic but my husband blamed it on her being exhausted from pushing so much. She progressively got worse through the day and kept pushing hard like she was contracting. This went on all day before we finally got antibiotic and pain killer from the vet and electrolytes. The vet came out the next morning to check her. Gave her calcium iv, some water solution, and drew blood. By then she was already in organ failure.. but the vet said we could continue giving her electrolytes and hope for the best.

My husband and daughter gave her a quart of electrolytes with a syringe every two hours while also bottle feeding her babies throughout the day. They really did try so hard to save her. But she had to have been bleeding internally. I have cried so much over the past two days. Our goats are family. They are our pets. And I have so much guilt over breeding her and letting this happen.... even CAUSING this to happen to her. I have one more goat that is due on May 13th and I am terrified this will happen again. I am also struggling to know what to do with these orphaned babies. They are eating from the bottle now but I know bottle babies can be a struggle to keep healthy and I am not experienced at all in knowing what to do.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I pray your doe pulls through!... really sorry you are dealing with this❤
If you're not already giving it to her... high doses vitamin C helps with any kind of infection...Im sure it helped my doe get over a difficult miscarriage. Most goats will readily eat the chewable kinds for humans
Thank you so much for reaching out to help. She did not make it. But I will keep your advice in mind for my other two goats. This was our first attempt at breeding. And we only planned to do it this once in order to get a few more goats to clear our woods. They are our pets,, not like a business for us. I am so sorry we bred them though. I feel such guilt over it. Watching our sweet girl die yesterday was absolutely horrible.

·
Registered
2,974 Posts
Bottle babies are actually easy. Dont over feed and let them stay warm. Dont give milk replacer. Dont feed water in the bottle. At 6 weeks do a fecal. Always make sure their temps are at about 101.5 to 103... bottle never less than 101.... you will be a grwat goat momma

1 - 20 of 49 Posts