Goat still coughing ---- any suggestions?

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by SandStoneStable Farm, Feb 23, 2011.

1. SandStoneStable Farm

SandStoneStable Farm New Member

Dec 7, 2010
    Maryland
    2 weeks ago ND started a hacking cough.

No temp, no other symtoms. Wormed him, still coughed 7 days later wormed him again.
    Cough continued to progress, still no fever or other symptoms.
    Saturday tail goes down, little runny nose and eyes. Start him on LA 200.
    On Monday must have nicked a nerve, went mildly lame for 1/2 of Tuesday.
    So his tail is still down (could be sore from shot incident), snotty nose and eyes cleared up. Still no temp.
    Tonight was his last dose. Still hacking cough.
    I want to look at allergies next, but no diet changes have occurred to hay, feed, treats, ect...
    Any recommendations would be appreciated. The vet is scheduled to come next Monday to draw blood for my does I plan to have her look at him unless he gets worse.
    I would like to rule out everything I can before she comes, if possible.
    Thanks,
    Caryn

2. GotmygoatMTJ

GotmygoatMTJ New Member

What did you worm him with? Lungworm causes coughing ( havent seen your other post yet, so don't know if this has been brought up) We have used Cydectin for it. And I believe 2 weeks would be ideal.... Im not positive

3. cdtrum

cdtrum New Member

Aug 25, 2008
    Northern Indiana
    I think it is the Ivomce Plus that covers lungworms.....but double check me on that! If it is allergies you can give him a child's dose of Benydrel.....it helped one of my guys after he had pneumonia and he had a cough for months......on bad days I would give it to him and it really made a difference.

4. GotmygoatMTJ

GotmygoatMTJ New Member

It could be the Ivomec plus too... Ive was always told cydectin. Maybe they both do. :)

Id go with cdtrum and used the benadryl. maybe its all the things in the air this time of year.

5. Springbett Farm

Springbett Farm Senior Member

Jan 5, 2011
    Nebraska
    Could you try Nu-flor? (sp?) The breeder of my girls swore by it for coughs/runny noses (if it turns out not to be allergies.)

6. SandStoneStable Farm

Dec 7, 2010
    Maryland
    I'll try dosing him a bit of Childrens Benadryl next and see if it makes a difference. Do you know if it makes them drowsy? Jumpy?
    I've heard of Nuflor, but hadn't thought of it. I'll look into it as well.
    Anyone used VetRx? Is it any good? My TSC only had poultry so I couldn't pick any up.

Thanks guys for the suggestions, sometimes you just get stumped.

7. SandStoneStable Farm

Dec 7, 2010
    Maryland
    oopsy, don't know what happened up there... :)

8. cdtrum

cdtrum New Member

Aug 25, 2008
    Northern Indiana
    You can try VetRX.....it did nothing for my guy, but many here use it and swear by it and it is all natural which is great! I never noticed if Benadryl (sorry for this mis-spelling above....wish we had spell check on here) made my guy sleepy or not, I gave it to him mainly at night before bedtime.

If he were mine I would also go ahead and worm him with a wormer that covers lungworms and cover my basis......but that's just me.

9. Goat Biology

Goat Biology New Member

Feb 23, 2011
    The plus in Ivomec Plus covers liver flukes. Won't do anything against lungworm.

10. SandStoneStable Farm

Dec 7, 2010
    Maryland
    Found this on http://www.tennesseemeatgoats.com/artic ... worms.html

"The best treatment is preventative. Keep goats off wet, undrained pastures. Don't allow them to graze early in the morning when snails and slugs are still out. Treat the goats with Ivomec 1% cattle injectable given orally before new pasture season arrives and again in early fall. Ivermectin has been found to be most effective against lungworms."

What do you think?

Trying benadryl tonight, seemed to cough a bit less tonight, could just be wishful hoping on my part.
    Thanks again for your suggestions, truly appreciated.
    Caryn

11. GotmygoatMTJ

GotmygoatMTJ New Member

Keeping my goats off the grass in the morning is virtually impossible right now. I hardly have any worm problems with the grass. Long grass is a good way to keep the worms down.

Also the Vet RX. We recently bought the Chicken VetRX. we were VERY dissappointed to learn that its the EXACT same ingredients! FOR A HIGHER PRICE at our store!! We were so mad xD So yea, you can use the chicken vet rx on the goats. The only thing different is the piece of paper in the box that gives directions on how to give it poultry.

12. SandStoneStable Farm

Dec 7, 2010
    Maryland
    Oh, that's stupid. But good to know!! I want to give it a try since it seems the cough is still there, but currently not the hacking he had before. Can't tell if the benadryl did anything yet.

13. cdtrum

cdtrum New Member

Aug 25, 2008
    Northern Indiana
    Karin.....thank you clearing up the difference in what Ivomec and Ivomec Plus cover......that's why I said double check me on it.........I always have to double check myself, I get lungworm and liverflukes confused when it comes to wormers!

14. nubians2

nubians2 New Member

My pregnant doe has also had a cough. I first noticed it after they were running. I dosed ivomec 1% injectable orally 1cc per 50lbs according to my vets instructions. A week later not much improvement,i gave next dosage 10 days later. My wether sounds better but my doe was coughing bad this morning. They have no fever, runny nose, they are eatting good just this cough. I will be dosing the last one on wednesday. The only other thing the vet thought was that it could be environmental. I really want to get more goats right now but until this is resolved I dont think that would be the best idea.

15. nubians2

nubians2 New Member

My pregnant doe has also had a cough. I first noticed it after they were running. I dosed ivomec 1% injectable orally 1cc per 50lbs according to my vets instructions. A week later not much improvement,i gave next dosage 10 days later. My wether sounds better but my doe was coughing bad this morning. They have no fever, runny nose, they are eatting good just this cough. I will be dosing the last one on wednesday. The only other thing the vet thought was that it could be environmental. I really want to get more goats right now but until this is resolved I dont think that would be the best idea.

16. SandStoneStable Farm

Dec 7, 2010
    Maryland
    So, he's down to 1 cough at a time. Looks like the LA200 hit the spot, but I think the Benadryl calmed him as well although I don't think it was allergies.
    Thanks guys for the thoughts. What was odd about his illness was no temp and runny eyes/ nose showed up late. Lung sounds clear.
    I love being able to bounce ideas off you guys!
    Caryn

17. nubians2

nubians2 New Member

What is La200 please?

18. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    LA200 is the brand name of an antibiotic called "Liquamycin" which contains Oxytetracycline.

Most feed stores and Tractor Supply carry it.

19. nubians2

nubians2 New Member

Is it safe for pregnant does? She is about 50 right now.