Goat still coughing ---- any suggestions?

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by SandStoneStable Farm, Feb 23, 2011.

1. SandStoneStable Farm

SandStoneStable Farm New Member

Dec 7, 2010
    Maryland
  2. SandStoneStable Farm

Dec 7, 2010
    Maryland
    I am super mad! Cough back! - and worse!
    No fever, no worms, no rales... stumped.
    Could still be allergies I guess, but he's hacking his head off.
    Gave him comfort vitamins and what not, vet comes tomorrow 9am.

3. iddybit acres

iddybit acres New Member

Feb 17, 2011
    Newberry, MI
    Poor lil fellar hope you figure it out soon!

4. cariboubug

cariboubug Junior Member

Feb 25, 2011
    We have a new buck who is starting to cough. There are no other symptoms. Everything we have read says that it could be the lungworm as there are usually no other symptoms with it. They also recommended to use the Levamisol wormer. Does anyone have any experience with this? Do you think it would be okay to use even if it is not a positive ID on lungworm as the fecal showed nothing, which we have read is usually the case.

5. naturalgoats

naturalgoats New Member

Jan 2, 2011
    Ivomec plus covers lung worms and liver flukes. I gave it to my boy for lung worm this am. I do it SQ because my vet said hew wasn't sure that the clorsulon would work orally. I did this in 2009 and it worked for me then. he has only recently started coughing again and I haven't given him any wormer at all since then.
    Miranda

6. SandStoneStable Farm

Dec 7, 2010
    Maryland
    So, after a second goat came down with insane hacking, I had the vet back out.
    I had given the first wether LA200 and after getting a little better, he rebound terribly.
    The vet gave me Ceftiflex. I am on day 5, and seeing slow improvement.
    However, let me just say after torturing my poor goat with LA200 I will gladly pay for this stuff!! No screaming, jumping torture, he doesn't even notice I gave him a shot!! Drawbacks it doesn't keep after you mix it and it's pricey.

Now that they're on thier last day, other than Nutridrench and probios, is there anything I can/ should do to keep/ boost immunity? I'm trying to prevent another rebound. The VetRX didn't do anything when they were sick as dogs, but maybe just to keep nasal passages clear? The cold/ warm/ wet/ dry/ snow/ sunny... weather doesn't help much. Thoughts?

Thanks,
    Caryn

7. Steph

Steph Senior Member

May 7, 2009
    PA
    How much air flow is in your barn? The reason I am asking is last winter I had a lot of coughing in my herd. They were treated repeatedly with different antibiotics. Nothing seemed to fix the coughing until spring came.

We added an addition onto our main barn last summer and left the air vents (eves) open. I also left the doors at both ends open all winter. The only time I closed them was if the temp dropped below 30. I had no coughing this winter.

Just a thought to check your ventilation. It helped my herd to increase the ventilation. I asked my vet once how do you get a ventilated barn without making it drafty. He told me don't worry about the drafts just make sure it's ventilated.

Hope your goats get better soon!

8. SandStoneStable Farm

Dec 7, 2010
    Maryland
    Thanks Steph,
    I have a 3 stall horse barn, the top of the doors stay open. I thought about a box fan to draw air away from the stall they ae in.
    I also considered ventilation as an issue, more so because the barn doors face north and wind seems only hit east/ west.
    Spring is approaching, a drawing fan would probably do them good anyway.
    Caryn