Goat still nursing

Discussion in 'Goat Management' started by Skooby, Apr 30, 2010.

1. Skooby

Skooby New Member

Sep 20, 2009
    IN
    How do I get mama goat to stop letting her kid milk? Willy will be 1 year in June. For a bit it looked like she was slowing drying up but now she is getting full again and I have seen Willy drinking more. Willy is a spoiled/greedy kid lol. She will also let her kids butt her out of the way of other food. She's a great mom but there comes a time to say enough is enough I would think.

I've tried taping udders but it doesn't stop him. Will he ever stop??

2. Skooby

Skooby New Member

Sep 20, 2009
    IN
    Oh & she won't be bred this year either.

3. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    The ONLY way I found to keep an exceptional mom from nursing "way too old" kids is to totally separate them. I was fortunate enough to be able to take my 3 year old doe to my moms for 3 months then brought her back to rejoin the herd....her mom was here, and when I brought her 3 year old "kid" home she treated her like a new herd member.
    I hope Willy is a wether.

4. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
    Something else you can do is drench she with sage. Boil sage, get it good and strong and drench her. Sage dries up the milk.

5. Skooby

Skooby New Member

Sep 20, 2009
    IN
    Thanks for the replies. Yes he's a wether. The only drawback from separation is I don't have anywhere to send him or move him to. I will try the sage suggestion.