Goat stool..(poop).. question.

Discussion in 'Mini Mania' started by NuMosaFarms, Oct 16, 2012.

1. NuMosaFarms

NuMosaFarms 3 Pygmy Does, 1 Pygmy Weather, 2 ND Bucks

Mar 26, 2012
    Hi all,

Ok... As goat breeders we know that we have to pay attention to our goats stools and droppings, cause this is direct indication as to if their digestive system is working properly. Plus it also is a good indication of heath. For the last two days while doing my daily chores in the pasture with our two three & half month old little bucks, I noticed that one of them is having some "stools" that are more of a "clump" instead of the typical little goat pellets. You can still see the "pellet poop" in the stool clump, but it's as if they have been compressed together. I did check and there are no signs of any type of parasite or worm in the stool. Is this normal, and should this be telling me something?

I know everyone will ask, so this is what their daily diet has been. Every morning they get one third cup of Nobel Goat pellet fomula, and in the last three days we have started adding a VERY SMALL amount of black oiled sunflower seeds to their ration. During the day they have grass hay and just normal pasture grass, although they don't seem to be eating a lot of hay. In the evening after we get home from work, we cut them some fresh browse which is usually off of one our many sweet gum trees......ALL our goats love it...lol

One thing I will add, is that the "clumpy" stool is by no means wet or runny. It appears dry and solid, its just the clump vs loose pellets has my attention.

Thank you,
    BJ & Debbie

capracreek and K Gemmill like this.
  2. ThreeHavens

ThreeHavens 7 does - 2 bucks - 1 wether

Oct 20, 2011
    New Jersey
    When we see clumpy poo, we give them an extra round of herbal dewormer. Clears it up.

capracreek likes this.

3. ksalvagno

ksalvagno Moderator

Could be dietary. I would just keep an eye on it.

capracreek likes this.
  4. nancy d

nancy d Moderator

Oct 5, 2007
    near Seattle
    Are they clumped together kind of like miniature Christmas trees? If so that's pretty normal.
    The BOSS shouldnt be an issue unless they're getting more than a small handful.

capracreek likes this.
  5. NuMosaFarms

NuMosaFarms 3 Pygmy Does, 1 Pygmy Weather, 2 ND Bucks

Mar 26, 2012
    Yes.... just like a little christmas tree. With the clump being no longer than about a inch or so.

capracreek likes this.
  6. romanad

romanad New Member

Sep 22, 2012
    KY
    I have a little doeling who seems to get this when I give her too much grain. She also had tape worms, and we treated for that too, but I still notice it sometimes and I think it is a dietary issue. She just doesn't seem to do well on the grain. My others eat much more of it than she does and they seem fine. Hope you find that answer!

capracreek likes this.
  7. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator

Jul 20, 2008
    corning california
    I agree, diet change or increase can do it ;)

capracreek likes this.
  8. athinafaerie

athinafaerie New Member

Jun 27, 2017
    Our kids did this when we switched their grain feed to quickly, or when the have eaten too rich of pasture. Goes away with in a couple days. At least that was the case for us.

capracreek likes this.
  9. Suzanne_Tyler

Suzanne_Tyler GreenTGoats

Jul 19, 2014
    Pinnacle, NC
    This is an old thread from 2012.

capracreek likes this.
  10. K Gemmill

K Gemmill New Member

Aug 22, 2017
    Thank you all for the advice. I am new to having goats. Two 10 week old Nigerian dwarfs. Twice a day I take them out to eat bushes etc. then to get them back into fences area I have to shake bag with sunflower seeds mixed with cracked corn (about half a cup) I give them as they guickly respond to this. They do get clustered poo so thinking need to stop treat or less treat.BUT how do I get them back in fence?? They pretty much have eaten everything in fenced area. And will they cry when I live always? Thank you

capracreek likes this.
  11. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    corning california
    Corn isn't the bests for goats. Try skipping that and use nobel goat instead, in it's place. It is goat candy, they do love it but it isn't really good for them.
    BOSS if fed too much as mentioned, can cause some issues.
    Always decreasing feed(grain) a bit, browsing time out if it is a lush pasture and feeding some hay before allowing them out helps, just a little bit.
    It sounds like they are being really spoiled, LOL, so they do not want their hay, which can be crucial for their health.

Clumpy poo can be a sign of dietary issues.
    Or worse case worms starting, so keeping a eye on that or limiting some feed sources like grain or lush pasture.

Check their inner lower eyelid coloring, if too light, it may be worms.

Are they fat or thin?

nancy d likes this.
  12. K Gemmill

K Gemmill New Member

Aug 22, 2017
    Thank you, I will switch out corn for Nobel ( noble must be feed)

13. K Gemmill

K Gemmill New Member

Aug 22, 2017
    They have eaten leaves etc in fenced area and so now taking them out to graze on leaves etc on our acres . For another 40 minutes twice daily. They have second cut hay which is what I was told to give. And it's always available also clean water.

14. K Gemmill

K Gemmill New Member

Aug 22, 2017
    When they eat on acres they get fat then I put them in fenced area. Late afternoon or early evening they come out and thin again.

15. Only two of my goats get these 'Christmas tree poos' (laugh), now and again, this is because these two are the top eats and eat A LOT, this increases the amount of liquid in the poo making them moist and clump. However everyone should be careful sometimes this can be due to an underlying prob. But I think mine is more of a moisture thing. - feeding them bushes will help rule out if its a moisture prob or if its something else.
    Also bushes and trees are a goats natural diet, goats love it !

toth boer goats likes this.
  16. ksalvagno

ksalvagno Moderator

That is a good rumen working. It is not getting fat.

K Gemmill likes this.
  17. K Gemmill

K Gemmill New Member

Aug 22, 2017
    Thank you great information for me . I am new to goats . They eat freely two-three times a day in our woods . So hoping this clumping is that. I took crack corn out of a little treat to get back in their fenced area also someone said corn is not that great for goats systems. Hope sunflower seed is ok ? KG

LizWiz likes this.
  18. K Gemmill

K Gemmill New Member

Aug 22, 2017
    Thank you. That is good to know

19. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    corning california
    Nobel goat grower is a grain but a better choice than corn to lure them in.

Sunflower seeds should not be fed all the time, only to help with dander and dull hair to help put on weight. It should be fed a very small amount "per" goat. just a little bit in hand into their grain.

It is dietary for sure. It is the time out on those acres that may be making their poo clumpy. So limited it, then slowly increase time out, will help with that issue.

20. K Gemmill

K Gemmill New Member

Aug 22, 2017
    Thank you will do. Picked up Noble and will use to lure back in fenced area. And really limit sunflower seeds also. Because I live in the NW and we usually get more than our share of rain i am putting down gravel on walkway they use to exit and enter their area. Otherwise it will become mud and muddles. Please let me know if you think it's not good idea. KG

toth boer goats likes this.