The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I went out to feed tonight and one of my younger doelings was just acting oddly.
She keeps stretching/racking out, then she’ll lay down on her side. She also keeps putting a foot out and elevating it. Lots of dramatic rolling and tossing. She keeps making little noises like she’s uncomfortable too.
I saw her pee, not sure about poop. Was eating fine this morning.
Haven’t checked temp but will in a bit. Was wondering if any of you had ideas on what is going on. I’m not sure if it’s bloat since her stomach on both sides seem fine and level. She’s really uncomfortable around the area between her lower navel and udder area. I do hear some tummy noises.

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
From this website: https://www.boergoatprofitsguide.com/goat-bloat/#t-1595298296578

Massaging the upper left side of the goat

Try to make the goat walk

Raise the front portion of the goat

Pat or massage the rumen section to release the gas

Offer a tablespoon of sodium bicarbonate (baking soda) for adult goats and a teaspoon for baby goats mixed with water.

If the goat remains unable to belch then administer one tablespoon of Tide laundry powder (without bleach) mixed with 60ml of water via stomach tube. The anti-foaming solution will also help to remove the bloat immediately.

Administer some probiotics to refresh the flora of the rumen.

One couple of spoons of milk of magnesia or the mineral oil and massage the rumen backwards forward will help to lower the pH of the rumen and stimulate the gut.

Finally, if nothing is working, then trocar and cannula is the last option in the supervision of the veterinarian.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Can’t take her to the vet.
Poor girl, I don’t even know what else I can do.
She standing, but I tried drenching the baking soda and I’m pretty sure she spit all of it out. I don’t even know if she can swallow. Like it just dribbled out of the side of her mouth.

·
Super Moderator
32,237 Posts
Does sound like bloat. I usually start with baking soda...can mix enough water to make a paste and feed that or if she wont take that can dilute enough to drench..Massage, knead and bounce hr tummy, keep her walking. If you have CD antitoxin, give that now.

·
Super Moderator
32,237 Posts
Is her left side high and tight? any chance she got into something? Chicken feed or ??? Were you able to get her temp?

·
Super Moderator
32,237 Posts
For bloat, elevating her front legs helps, stand them on a block or something and message, knead and bounce her belly..The list above from the boer link all do help.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Taking temp now.
She is up, not walking too much but at least she’s not laying down. Left side is high and tight.
No, she’s been on the same field for the past couple of months, no grain. I have absolutely no idea how she got it.

·
Super Moderator
32,237 Posts
You can give more baking soda drench and keep massaging and Knead that left side and bounce her tummy. Keep her walking

·
Super Moderator
32,237 Posts
Also make sure there's nothing stuck in her throat to cause gas back up

·
Premium Member
Raising Quality Show & Commercial Goats
6,194 Posts
Give her some flat dark beer, room temperature. Shes small so 1/2 can. She also sounds constipated. I would give her milk of magnesia, about 1cc after the dark beer drench. The beer will calm the bloat, and get the rumen moving. The milk of magnesium will work the feces out. Hope she gets to feeling better.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Temp 101.4. Got some burps but not too many
She has this weird thing on her throat (that has been there since we got her) but I’m not sure if it could be related
Head Eye Human body Working animal Ear

We don’t have any beer or milk of magnesia, but also gave some gas x.

1 - 20 of 57 Posts