goat that is a fatty- need slimming down plan

Discussion in 'Goat Management' started by 4kids, Oct 28, 2009.

1. 4kids

4kids New Member

Jul 21, 2009
    Okay- I have a doe (Nigerian dwarf) who is a fatty. I don't think I am over feeding her but she has gained significant weight over the last few months. She is lactating, so I feel her 3 cups of Blue Seal's Caprine challanger per day plus minerals, baking soda and hay are free choice. I usually replenish the hay once a day. I would like to breed her but she is sooooo fat! Suggestions? :?

Jen

2. RunAround

RunAround New Member

Feb 17, 2008
    Massachusetts
    how far is she into lactation? Are you milking once or twice a day? Sounds like too much grain. I'd cut her down to a cup a feeding.

3. 4kids

4kids New Member

Jul 21, 2009
    I milk her twice a day- 1.5 cups per time of sweet feed with alfalfa pellets mixed in

4. 4kids

4kids New Member

Jul 21, 2009
    oh- I forgot. She kidded May1st

5. sparks879

sparks879 New Member

Do you have any pictures of her?
    beth

6. 4kids

4kids New Member

Jul 21, 2009
    help- how do I upload the photos....

7. RunAround

RunAround New Member

Feb 17, 2008
    Massachusetts
    You can upload them on here, or use www.photobucket.com and paste the links. Or you can email them to me and I can do it for you.

8. RunAround

RunAround New Member

Feb 17, 2008
    Massachusetts
    Here are the pictures:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. Idahodreamer

Idahodreamer Senior Member

personally, i don't think she's too fat.
    :shrug:

10. 4kids

4kids New Member

Jul 21, 2009
    okay- well that is good then!

11. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    I agree .....she looks healthy....but cutting the grain back a little.. wouldn't be a bad idea...if you are wanting to breed her... :greengrin: :thumbup:

12. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    She looks good to me too....you can decrease her grain by 1/2 cup each milking and see how it affects her production.

How much is she giving with each milking? Do you plan to milk her into her 4th month of pregnancy and dry her off before she kids?

I normally will milk my girls for 7 months, though I cut back to 1 x a day milking after 6 and then dry off a 2 weeks to a month before breeding. No grain 1 month prior to breeding but all the browse, minerals, hay freechoice.

13. 4kids

4kids New Member

Jul 21, 2009
    She isn't bred yet to my knowledge. I bought her in July. She was lactating but a very small amount. I continued milking her and I get about a pint a day-maybe a pint and a half. The farm I bought her from had bucks- she wasn't exposed to my knowledge. I quess my concern is how big she has gotten since I have had her. She used to be slim and agile. She is now chunky and cumbersome. If I have caused her weight gain I am trying to figure out my mistake. I wasn't planning to breed her until next month. I would probably milk her for two months and let her dry off for the final 10-12 weeks. Looking at her everyone says "when is she due". She isn't one of my pregnant does!

14. sparks879

sparks879 New Member

nope i dont think she looks fat at all.
    beth

15. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    mine all get the slightly chubby look during the fall months -- it coems with their hair growing in and the fact that they are getting back into condition from having kidded and lactating.

I would to cut back on her grain a bit -- but only a small amount since she is still lactating. Some goats are just easy keepers. Star the goat you were interested in before -- well she just produces milk on air it seems so if i give her grain she balloons out. THats a good trait to have in a goat when they can produce milk and not loose condition while on a small amount of grain -------- yah why did I sell her?? LOL

16. 4kids

4kids New Member

Jul 21, 2009
    worse yet- why didn't I buy her!

17. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    haha --- yah well, maybe I will have a stupid moment again and put up a nice goat for sale you can purchase from me in the future.

If I had more room she would stay I am still kicking myself for the fact that I had to sell her -- but I digress