Goat "training" help please

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by jay13, May 11, 2009.

1. jay13

jay13 New Member

Apr 12, 2009
    Central NC
    Ok, I have a question that I really need some help with. I just bought 2 year old doelings, they haven't had kids yet, that will have to wait until next season. I have got them "trained" to get on the stanchion for their treats while I groom them and get them used to being "felt up" so hopefully I can milk them without too much hassle next spring.

The problem is this, whenever I go into the shed that has their grain in it, they insist on trying to follow me and when I have the bowls in hand, they come running and try to jump on me and have nearly knocked me down a couple of times. Unfortunately there is no practical way to "fence off" the shed where the grain is stored since it is just one end of our long shed that houses the goats and chickens.

How do you "un-train" this kind of behavior? I have been having to put them on leashes and attach them to the fence before hand which keeps the knocking down to a minimum but when I un hook each of them for their turn on the stand they run hard for it, dragging me the whole way.

I would normally be able to muscle my way clear of the trouble except that I also happen to be 5 months pregnant and REALLY don't need them jumping up on my tummy or knocking me down...lol. Any ideas on how to get these loveable bottle babies all grown up to behave would be GREATLY appreciated. Thanks.

Jay

2. Epona142

Epona142 The farm that Hope began

May 25, 2008
    Madisonville, TX
    When a goat jumps on me, they either get a knee in the chest or a smack on the nose. Being a real lightweight person, I can't have goats, even mini's jumping on me. Not to mention that's just BAD behavior and I don't allow it.

3. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    ditto. Thats what I do.

I also tie to the fence for feeding and if they try to pull me when leading I will hold back and not let them go till they walk nicelly with me - even if that means they have to "choke" a bit to get the idea that slow and steady is the way we do it.

4. FunnyRiverFarm

FunnyRiverFarm New Member

Sep 13, 2008
    Hudson, MI
    A squirt bottle with water in it works wonders. Just tell them "NO", "LEAVE IT", or "GIT" and squirt them in the face. They usually catch on pretty quick. This is what I did to train my goats to stay off the front porch and landscaping...

They do test me every now and then, but all I have to do is show them the squirt bottle and they high-tail it out of there.

5. jay13

jay13 New Member

Apr 12, 2009
    Central NC
    Yeah, I try to hold them back but they are so strong! I was worried about the choking/gagging sound that they make when I do... I don't want to hurt them! if only they were younger, I would train them to pull a cart! lol. Oh, and they broke my milking stand... I have to build a new one, obviously I didn't build it tough enough,... sigh. I just dont' have the money to buy one of the fancy metal stands or feeders. I currently have a laundry basket on book shelf brackets for a feeder right now to keep their feet/berries out of it....

Edited to attach pic

Attached Files:

6. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    I like your hay feeder - I say whatever works! You arent the only one using laundry baskets - a friend of mine uses them too.

7. Dreamchaser

Dreamchaser New Member

Oct 29, 2008
    Camp Verde, AZ
    If you know a handy man who can weld, you can get an old bed frame to make a good stantion. Mine is an old weightbench I am turning into a stantion. I have been dragging it around for years moving from house to house, wanting to use it for something!

8. rebelshope

rebelshope New Member

Sep 20, 2008
    Wisconsin
    I do the same thing I do with a dog, I turn my body away from the goat. As you twist at the waist they lose their footing. This way I always have two feet on the ground at all times. If more than one goat jumps they all lose their footing and go off. Honestly I don't have too much problem with them jumping up because they know it doesn't work.

9. sparks879

sparks879 New Member

For the training i dont tolerate jumping even from kids. They get a smack on the nose and a firm no. Gate manners are the same way. I dont like my goats crowsing the goat. I keep squirt bottles everywhere in the barn and by all the gates. The bucks i usually add some vinigar too. as my bucks dont seem to mind the little bit of water.
    As for the feeder i think its a great idea. whatever works.
    beth

10. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    Squirt bottle and a smart smack on the nose....a knee to the chest as well.

Mine will try and crowd me as well as jump up but a firm crack on the nose really helps.

Another thing to try while you are preggy, feed from outside the fence if you can. Attach a short lead to a post to clip each to and a feed pan for each, give them half their ration before you go in and the rest while they are on the stand...which I hope you can get repaired.

The hay basket is a good idea, easily replaced if needed. I use plastic milk crates set on the floor...they are durable and easily cleaned and it lets the ones on the bottom of the pecking order eat freely while the top girls eat from the wall racks.

11. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
    Pretty goats. I do feed out of the buckets or barrels that are upside down that the goats are standing on, and yes they do get the poop and all in them, plus the babies think they are their beds.

I have a question for you.. Is that a post that is on this side of the barrel? It looks like it is holding the barrel. If so PLEASE be careful with the collars and halters that re on them. They could get them cough on the post and hang themselves.

12. jay13

jay13 New Member

Apr 12, 2009
    Central NC
    No, that is not a post on the front side of the barrel, it is one of their leashes that they were on while I was working in their pen. They are loose in the pic but I tether them to a post while I need to work otherwise they get underfoot big time. All other posts are either up against a wall or have hot wire at the top so they tend to steer clear. Also the halters were only on temporarily, its just the collars that tend to stay on 24/7 so that I can get a hold of them when need be.