The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
One of my girls has been battling mastitis. We have been treating it. She kidded on Sunday and on Monday she was so much worse. We called the vet and it was decided that she needed to have half of her udder removed. While I hated it for her, I’m happy to say that she is so much better now. She has one teat and udder left but seems healthy now.
The problem is another doe in our herd. Since the vet came and performed the surgery on Rosie, our other doe, Natasha, is freaked! We need to milk her and she has been fighting us every time and seems spooked. I don’t know what to do to calm her. She’s always been a bit “high-spirited” but this week is over the top! She still has a buckling that is nursing some but we have been milking her once a day for several weeks with no problems until the surgery. Any ideas on how to calm her?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Since then two of us are helping with milking. She is getting her favorite alfalfa pellets (soaked in water) to eat and animal crackers too.
The surgery was in the stall with gate closed. The other goats were in the grass pen. After the surgery the vet said the goats kept coming to the gate. I wasn’t out there... I was a nervous wreck! So yes. Apparently she did see some of it.
I don’t know what to do to help her. My other girl is fine but Natasha is frantic. Time may calm her down but I just feel so guilty. I should have kept her away from it. I didn’t even think about what the surgery would to do to my other girls. I was just worried about Rosie.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Is Natasha the queen? I have noticed one doe may take it upon herself to make sure everybody is ok and gets really frantic until she sees that everything is in order. Maybe she is having empathy issues for Rosie? anthropomorphizing... Idk.

There's an herbal/homeopathic tonic called Rescue Remedy that some people have used for anxiety in all kinds of animals, and people... it might help. Has helped me... just a few drops takes the edge off.

·
Registered
5,201 Posts
Hi..just a guess here. But it sounds like Rosie & Natasha are herdmates. Could Rosie be in or near Natasha while you are milking Natasha? I think Natasha needs Rosie to be calm and near her when shes milked. Reassurance.
For some reason Natasha thinks shes gonna be hurt while on the milk stand. Its worth a try.

·
Premium Member
4,674 Posts
One of my girls has been battling mastitis. We have been treating it. She kidded on Sunday and on Monday she was so much worse. We called the vet and it was decided that she needed to have half of her udder removed. While I hated it for her, I'm happy to say that she is so much better now. She has one teat and udder left but seems healthy now.
The problem is another doe in our herd. Since the vet came and performed the surgery on Rosie, our other doe, Natasha, is freaked! We need to milk her and she has been fighting us every time and seems spooked. I don't know what to do to calm her. She's always been a bit "high-spirited" but this week is over the top! She still has a buckling that is nursing some but we have been milking her once a day for several weeks with no problems until the surgery. Any ideas on how to calm her?
Has she been allowed to go see and touch her friend? If not i would let her just watch carefully and do not leave her in with friend if you are not there. Maybe she just needs reassurance that friend is ok.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts