The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been trying to teach my goat to walk on a leash. And would like to have treats to give her when she does something right. The only problem is none of my goats will eat animal crackers, horse treats, alfalfa bites, or any fruit or veggies and none of the feed stores have goat treats. So does anyone have links or recipes to make goat treats ? Bc i thought i would try something one more time

·
Registered
203 Posts
I've got a recipe in one of my books, I'll have to find it and post it for you. In the meantime, have you tried raisins or peanuts? My picky Mini Nubian doeling will only eat peanuts and refuses to try any other treats.

·
Registered
8,709 Posts
I was told to use peanuts when leash training :)

·
Dave (TDG Farms) S.E. Washington State
4,956 Posts
Ya, peanuts are what many pack goat owners use. Me... not so lucky. My pack goat Legion hates treats other then alfalfa and grain, and the last thing you want is a pocket full of grain when he is around. Hes like a kid "mom... mom... mom... mom, mom mom MOOOOM... MOOOOM... MOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOM!

·
Registered
82 Posts
My goat are obsessed with saltine crackers,and wheat thins. Heck with my goats I just lead them with sweet feed(they LOVE that stuff). Goodluck!

·
goat girl x0x0
2,478 Posts
Goats are funny...when mine were little babies they loved peanut butter...now they just look at me like "what the heck are you giving me this for??"
An one of them loves peanuts and scoffs them down but the other one will just pick it up and spit it back out :shrug:

·
Registered
109 Posts
Aww that's funny. By Pygmy used to love banana, he would jump all over me if I were eating one, now he won't even lick one, very strange!!

·
Registered
79 Posts
My goats will go absolutely NUTS for a molasses ginger snap cookie. They're my favorite treat too so we always have them in the house, every once in a while when I'm feeling generous I'll go sit in the goat pen with a handful and share one with each goat. I'm not sure how great the nutritional value is or how often it's okay to give them, but my Nigerians get them very infrequently and are SO grateful when they do!

·
Registered
203 Posts
Sometimes my girls refuse to eat the ones in the shells if they are big so I'll crack them open and give them the peanuts. If you're lucky, they'll just eat the whole thing! My girls mob me for peanuts, they love 'em! :eek:hlala:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts