The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
617 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
So I just gave her Bose and banamine still good appetite and normal pea and poo,trimmed her feet last week ?if there is some foot rot,I know I did not take too much off,she was a little lAme in a front leg before I trimmed

·
Super Moderator
82,257 Posts
Are the knee's swollen? May want to test for CAE

If there is hoof rot, it needs treatment. If you have iodine I would use that on the goats hooves, every day.

Trim as low as you can to get rid of the rot part, without bleeding. Trim every 2 weeks, just a little until you get all the yuck out of there.

·
2,203 Posts
Iodine doesn't hurt them so start that, but I wonder...do the feet stink? Poke the hoof everywhere as well. Any sensitive spots? As a general rule, for the first week after a trim you should be checking for stones, bruising, cracked hoof wall, etc. Trims change their walking stance and can be uncomfortable for them if it was badly needed.

Grab a couple pics. That can help us as well.

·
Registered
617 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
They did need to be trimmed and yes it stunk,parts of the hoof wall was seperating,but cleaned it all up trimming

·
Registered
617 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
She is up walking just sometimes on her knees,checked feet and used iodine ,they don't seem tender when I pushed on different areas with hoof pick.it has been very wet here in ny

·
2,203 Posts
She is up walking just sometimes on her knees,checked feet and used iodine ,they don't seem tender when I pushed on different areas with hoof pick.it has been very wet here in ny
I would say rot then. Take some salt water and scrub the hoof clean. Take an antibiotic and squirt on the area where it stinks.

Ideally what I do is squirt 2cc LA200 or excenel on the hoof, put a wad of cotton on that area, and vet wrap for 8 hours. Unwrap and leave open the rest of the day. Repeat for one week.

·
Registered
617 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks Mjs and Roth,so if the wall peeps away is that the foot rot,or is the foot rot more in the area were the frog is on a horse

·
2,203 Posts
Thanks Mjs and Roth,so if the wall peeps away is that the foot rot,or is the foot rot more in the area were the frog is on a horse
It can be anywhere that dirt/bacteria may multiply. Depends on the hoof of the animal.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts