goat udder

Discussion in 'Goat Management' started by Heart H Goat, Feb 13, 2011.

1. Heart H Goat

Heart H Goat New Member

Feb 8, 2011
    I have a Boer x doe that has twin 1 week old kids.She has a very large udder and the kids are only nursing on one side.I milked her down on the side not being nursed,she seems to be very tender.My question is should I continue to milk her until the kids start to use that side? She doesn't have a fever and the milk looks great.

2. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    Take one of the kids....pick the same one each time....and teach the kid... there is another side... he/she will learn....
    everytime... you see them nursing ....grab the 1 kid ....and put it on that teat that is ignored....before you know it...the one kid ...will learn ...that is.... it's side to suckle on.... :wink:

If your Doe gets to tight ...milk some out....... she is sore ...and it will help..

when kids are just born...they don't eat alot...for the supply... that she is giving ...she is a great milker.... so helping... to milk her ....just to make her comfortable...will keep away mastitis.... just do it when... she is overly tight...eventually..... the kids will pick up on the eating.... :wink:

3. Heart H Goat

Heart H Goat New Member

Feb 8, 2011
    Sounds Like it should work! Thanks for the help Pam!
    Merv

4. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    :wink: No problem :thumb: