The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone. About two months ago I took in a frost bite baby. Her back legs do not work due to the frostbite but she gets around very well and is healthy otherwise. She also has a wheelchair that she likes to run around in. Yesterday, I found her laying outside on her side in the dirt screaming. I seriously thought she was going to die, she was in rough shape. Not even an hour before that she was perfectly normal. I think she must have injured herself somehow. Per the vet I've been giving her aspirin every 8 hours and monitoring her. She seems to be better except she cannot walk on her front legs anymore- leaving her completely unable to move other than flopping around. I have no idea what happened yesterday, but I'm wondering if she broke one of her front legs? My vet suggests euthanasia, but I'm hoping to get some of your opinions as to what could be wrong and if I can help her. I cannot figure out how to attach a video but I've attached a photo of her.
IMG_1431.jpg
Any info Is helpful. She was born in the middle of February per her previous owners.

·
Premium Member
4,675 Posts
Hi everyone. About two months ago I took in a frost bite baby. Her back legs do not work due to the frostbite but she gets around very well and is healthy otherwise. She also has a wheelchair that she likes to run around in. Yesterday, I found her laying outside on her side in the dirt screaming. I seriously thought she was going to die, she was in rough shape. Not even an hour before that she was perfectly normal. I think she must have injured herself somehow. Per the vet I've been giving her aspirin every 8 hours and monitoring her. She seems to be better except she cannot walk on her front legs anymore- leaving her completely unable to move other than flopping around. I have no idea what happened yesterday, but I'm wondering if she broke one of her front legs? My vet suggests euthanasia, but I'm hoping to get some of your opinions as to what could be wrong and if I can help her. I cannot figure out how to attach a video but I've attached a photo of her. View attachment 183493 Any info Is helpful. She was born in the middle of February per her previous owners.
Can you take her to a vet for xrays? Banamine is a much better choice for pain meds and anti inflamatory for her than aspirin. It is also easier on her rumen than the aspirin. I would try find a different vet than the one that said put her down immediately if you are wanting to try save her. Male sure you keep her hydrated and fed.

·
Registered
3,658 Posts
Have you felt all over and flexed all her joints to try to locate any source of pain? Any heat or swelling anywhere? If it's a traumatic injury to the legs you should be able to find something amiss. If she hurt her back it may be harder to pinpoint. Also research problems like floppy kid and polio. I wouldn't expect these to crop up quite so suddenly, but it never hurts to rule them out. Is she still eating and drinking? Does she have a fever?

·
Registered
11,199 Posts
Oh dear, the poor gal looks very rough.

I'm not sure what to suggest other than supportive care. You'll definitely need to find another veterinarian to do further diagnostics including xrays. Hopefully they will prescribe some type of better anti-inflammatory. Keep her upright, stand her up assisted at least 4x per day and flex all the legs to keep blood flow, keep her hydrated with a bucket within easy reach, keep hay and leafy branches right within reach.

She appears underweight, hard to say without putting hands on her. But she has a rough fluffy coat and looks thin so there may be other issues going on above and beyond the injuries and previous frostbite damage. If a second veterinarian gives her a diagnosis for the injury, you may want to have a fecal analysis done and consider mineral deficiencies as well. Has this goat ever had selenium supplementation?

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Can you take her to a vet for xrays? Banamine is a much better choice for pain meds and anti inflamatory for her than aspirin. It is also easier on her rumen than the aspirin. I would try find a different vet than the one that said put her down immediately if you are wanting to try save her. Male sure you keep her hydrated and fed.
I'm hoping to get to the vet on Wednesday for X-rays if they're able to get me in. I'll also ask for banamine. Thank you!!

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Have you felt all over and flexed all her joints to try to locate any source of pain? Any heat or swelling anywhere? If it's a traumatic injury to the legs you should be able to find something amiss. If she hurt her back it may be harder to pinpoint. Also research problems like floppy kid and polio. I wouldn't expect these to crop up quite so suddenly, but it never hurts to rule them out. Is she still eating and drinking? Does she have a fever?
I cannot seem to locate the pain, except possible one front shoulder. No swelling or heat. I'm thinking maybe back. I'm going to start treating for polio to be safe. She's eating and drinking normally, no fever.

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Oh dear, the poor gal looks very rough.

I'm not sure what to suggest other than supportive care. You'll definitely need to find another veterinarian to do further diagnostics including xrays. Hopefully they will prescribe some type of better anti-inflammatory. Keep her upright, stand her up assisted at least 4x per day and flex all the legs to keep blood flow, keep her hydrated with a bucket within easy reach, keep hay and leafy branches right within reach.

She appears underweight, hard to say without putting hands on her. But she has a rough fluffy coat and looks thin so there may be other issues going on above and beyond the injuries and previous frostbite damage. If a second veterinarian gives her a diagnosis for the injury, you may want to have a fecal analysis done and consider mineral deficiencies as well. Has this goat ever had selenium supplementation?
I'm hoping to get to the vet on Wednesday for X-rays and banamine. She's upright and I'm moving her legs constantly. She has access to hay and water and has been eating. She's not underweight as in a "skinny" sense, she is just very small. She was 8lbs at 2 months old when I got her and has been slowly growing since. She has had oral selenium, would you recommend another dose? She just had a fecal done and it came back clean. There are no other large animal vets in my area so I'm at a loss.

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Hi all, I wanted to give you an update. She was hospitalized for a week and we ran every test in the book. No freaking diagnosis! We treated for Polio, gave IV anti microbial, basically an array of things. One of them must have worked, because she is doing amazing! She can run and is acting like a normal goat again. They did run mineral panels on her and she is not deficient, I think the photo just looks weird. Thank you all for the prayers and kind words, I’m beyond thrilled that she’s healthy again<3

·
Registered
1,829 Posts
YAY!!

Reactions: MadHouse
1 - 20 of 35 Posts