Goat under the weather - help and advise please.

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by Trace, Dec 17, 2009.

1. Trace

Trace New Member

Dec 28, 2008
    Went out to feed this am.

Cookie was lethargic - looked like she had coughed up cud - frothy at the mouth.

Left side not really swollen - felt around - kinda hard - but not too bad - gave her a massage - no burps.

Offered baking soda - took a bit - mainly sneezed.

She did eat some - still lethargic - now laying down - feet tucked under - not cudding - but is teeth grinding.

Hubby had them out in the yard with the dogs and there is a very good possibility that she ate some rhodadendrums.

Thoughts - next action?

2. crocee

crocee New Member

Jul 25, 2008
    Northeast Arkansas
    There is an antidote/treatment posted somewhere for rhodi injestion. I will see if I can find it. I know that one of the ingredients is activated charcoal tubed into the goat. Let me see if I can locate the others.

OK maybe I was thinking of something else since this "recipe" doesn't contain the charcoal.
    Heres a couple of antidotes that are supposed to work. I don't have rohodis so I can't comment on wether they do or not.
    http://www.goatworld.com/health/plants/antidotes.shtml

3. crocee

crocee New Member

Jul 25, 2008
    Northeast Arkansas
    Thanks Pam, I was beginning to think I was loosing it. I knew I had seen the activated charcoal used for Rhodi poisoning.

4. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    It's OK...crocee.... :hug: ...you aren't loosing it at all.....sometimes when..... it is an emergency ....we can't find things or think correctly..... I think.. we all ..have done it.. one time or another.... you did great....... :thumb:

5. Trace

Trace New Member

Dec 28, 2008
    Ok - I have charcoal here from when DD was a baby - I kept it on hand becuase DH has a friends kid that drank something from under the sink.

If it was rhodi poisening and not bloat - would she still froth?

If it was only bloat would the chacoal hurt her?

6. crocee

crocee New Member

Jul 25, 2008
    Northeast Arkansas
    The charcoal will not hurt her even if she doesn't need it. Mix it with some veg oil and it will take care of two problems. The oil will stop frothy bloat and the charocal will absorb the toxins. If its frothy bloat it may take more than a cup of oil depending on her size.

The rhodi treatment will also stop the frothy bloat due to the oil and it may be easier to get her to take.

7. Trace

Trace New Member

Dec 28, 2008
    Next question - how the heck do I get it down her?

8. Shelly Borg

Shelly Borg New Member

Nov 2, 2009
    Redding CA
    A turkey baster can work in a pinch. Just get it as far back in the corner of her mouth and tilt her head up. Get help holding her if you can but tjis needs to be done asap.

Good luck!

9. Shelly Borg

Shelly Borg New Member

Nov 2, 2009
    Redding CA
    I forgot to add a qt or gal size ziplock bag can work also. Just put in mix then clip small chunk of the corner. Then try to squezze it like a pastery bag in to corner of her mouth with head raised. Messy but it works. Plan on needing twice what you would.

10. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
    Have you gotten a temp? I would give the Charcoal to be safe.

11. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    Be sure to.. put it down her throat slowly....you don't want to get it into the lungs.....

12. Trace

Trace New Member

Dec 28, 2008
    I got about 1/2 a cup of oil down her - I will have to wait until hubby gets home to try the charcoal - she was not a happy goaty. :(

She ran around a bit - went back into the calf hutch - drank some warm water and started picking at hay.

Should I try milk of magnesia? I can go to the store and get some.

Poor Cookie - she looks so sad. :(

Dare I ask what happens if this doesn;t go away- does she die?

13. crocee

crocee New Member

Jul 25, 2008
    Northeast Arkansas
    I would only do 1 thing at a time. If you do too much too soon you can do more harm than good. Most goats don't like you poking stuff down their throats so its a good sign shes fighting you.

14. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    If she's eating and drinking...even a small amount is a good sign. Give her some probiotic paste to help restore her rumen bacteria, and offer her some warm water to help flush her system. She should start cud chewing as she picks at more hay.

15. Trace

Trace New Member

Dec 28, 2008
    Ok - so we gave her one small dose of milk of magnesia - took her for a small walk - put her front feet up on half a barrell and gave her a nice belly massage - after that she proceeded to give me two nice burps.

One hour later she still look really sad - but she is eating in her calf hutch - I didn;t see any froth- I will check her again in one hour.

I have horse GI conditioner - but it deffo says for horses only - that would probably screw her system up - right?

16. crocee

crocee New Member

Jul 25, 2008
    Northeast Arkansas
    Most things for horses are safe to give goats unless they specifically say not for ruminating animals. Eating and drinking is a good sign but you'll want to keep a close eye on her.