Goat Voices

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by Epona142, Apr 2, 2009.

1. Epona142

Epona142 The farm that Hope began

May 25, 2008
    Madisonville, TX
    Can any of you recognizes your goats by voice? :greengrin:

I just have a small (compared to some of you!) herd and I know them all by their yell.

Hope is the loudest, and the only one who will yell like she's being murdered if she thinks I'm anywhere around. I mean long drawn out hollering. It's horrible! You'd think I was butchering her alive.

Rudy has a very distinct voice. She is shrill and sounds really weird and is ALWAYS yelling. Her kid is a cry-baby too, must be genetic.

Cowbell has the only "normal" voice it seems. A very mild bleat.

Sugar is famous around here because she screams "NOOO!" very clearly when she sees me! It's hilarious.

Uno has a high-pitched kind of bleat, very unmanly! But I guess that's what happens when you're a wether.

Buckly sounds like a really weird miniature horse. He whinnys! Very odd.

Snowflake we haven't heard too much, since she's new. Really quiet barely seems to make noise.

So . . . am I just weird? :ROFL:

2. Thanatos

Thanatos New Member

Mar 16, 2009
    Lake Ariel, Pa
    Yep I can, but I hae two nigies and a nubian. Cleo doesnt count yet cause she still has the baby sound. Lets see how I do after a few more. I had a neighbor go check the ally for "the old man who was hurt" when we frist got luna and she hollerd for a couple of days. (urban farm)

We interduced them and he still swore he thought that some old guy had been beaten up in the alley. thank goodness no one called the cops??I think or should i worry

3. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    oh yes I can tell them all - and those in the past. I go to this farm that has my former goat Destiny and I can pick her maa out.

Angie is the drama queen always YELLING
    Lola has the weirdest ma ever - I cant even explain it! I will see if I can get it on video
    Mia is next but softer then Angie on the loud meeter
    Jitterbug has a softer more delicate ma
    Sweet pea is fairly silent - hers is more low pitched

4. keren

keren owned by goats

Oct 26, 2008
    Australia
    I did a quick count.

At the moment I have 24 goats - out of that I can tell 15 of those goats just by their voice. The others pretty much dont baa.

Also got 6 sheep - from them I can tell 4 of them by their voices - the other two dont make much noice.

So yeah, its quite possible to hear the difference when you have a larger number of animals.

5. Epona142

May 25, 2008
    Madisonville, TX
    How fun! I'm always afraid someone will hear miss spoiled brat Hope screaming her lungs out and call the Animal Control on me. :roll:

6. AlaskaBoers

AlaskaBoers New Member

May 6, 2008
    Wasilla Alaska
    i can with most of them:

Star- old, ratchety, cranky sound. lol
    calypso- whiny low pitched.
    Bikini- low pitched "maa"
    Zephyr- med pitch "moah"
    GH - loud, high pitched
    Thor-medium pitch, very whiny
    titan (Cashmere)- no sound
    maximus (Cashmere)- regular, but very whiny, sounds like he's dying. lol
    Dawn (ND)- high pitched, loud "Waaaaaaaa"
    Nubian 1 (doe)- screams, bloody murder
    Nubian 2 (boy)- screams like a dog is chasing him
    Nubian 3 (boy)- lonely sounding, low pitched maa, loud.
    Star's kid "Teetonka" (indian for "I talk too much") lol, you get the picture.

i got the nubbins for market goats since i cant seem to find any boers around here, and zephyrs wont be ready :hair: she gave me 3 for the price of 1 deal :) couldnt resist.

ohh, i got a buyer coming out for GH and Bikini tommorrow.

7. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    Yep...they all have very distinct voices.
    Hank...deep and short( sorta like him :wink: )
    Chief...muffled and sissy like
    Teddy...loudest of all and CONSTANT sounds at times like he's saying "Liiiiiiiiiiiiz" :ROFL:
    Bootsie....quiet almost a "mama talk"
    Tilly....screams bloody murder
    Binky....very soft but loud
    Angel....sounds like a kid crying
    Heidi...as loud as her mother Tilly and SHRILL!
    Bailey....barely a sound from her

8. rebelshope

rebelshope New Member

Sep 20, 2008
    Wisconsin
    Oh yes. My drama queen is Dixie, swear she is being murdered some days. I only hear my buck when I am near him, his is a really cute sissy voice. :) Dixie's kids are just about as bad as she is. Lilly is usually quiet and Chey just sounds annoyed.

9. RowdyKidz

RowdyKidz Senior Member

Apr 2, 2009
    NW Ohio
    I can tell all mine apart. It's funny, just say a word and you hear ALL my goats crying! What spoiled lil things! :doh:

10. Sweet Gum Minis

Sweet Gum Minis New Member

Oct 6, 2007
    Easley, SC
    Yes I can. My herd has been upwards of 40 at times and I can still tell them apart. I have about half that right now and know who's the one yelling. Some are real loud mouths and some are quiet as mice. Each is distinct though, only a couple kind of sound similar.

11. Coraxfeather

Coraxfeather New Member

Oct 8, 2008
    Slippery ROckPA
    I have to many goats to list but I know who is who at the farm. The ones tht are more clear to me is Pancakes, Dudes, Tasha, and the new babies that we have. I think it is jsut because right now I am so close to them. But I know Georges (very light maas) and also Bonnie (ear piercen Maas that breaks ear drums) stands out in a crowd. Loittle Bureny and Besty crys are almos tlike there mother's Bonnie Berney is a little more deeper and Besty will not break your ear drum.

I can go on and on about the 40 + goats voices but I will not.

12. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    thier little nicker-ma is harder to distinguish though. I find that Lola and SP sound a like

13. Dover Farms

Dover Farms New Member

Oct 16, 2007
    NW Ohio
    Yep...I can tell all eight of our older goats apart. Each one is different. Except the two yearlings(who are paternal sisters) are similar...but if you listen long enough you can tell them apart. Fool is by far the loudest and will yell the whole time we're doing chores...and even when we're not outside sometimes. She is the loudest goat I've ever owned...all our others are so quite.

14. Epona142

May 25, 2008
    Madisonville, TX
    All I have to do is open the door and they all go off.

"MAaaaaaaaaa! Come FEED us!"

And goodness forbid if I'm late, I can hear them through my upstairs window!

"Maaaaaaa! Where are youuuuuu?"

Spoiled brats :greengrin:

15. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
    OH Yea. We know all of them. Even if they are in the barn and yelling, we can tell who it is and if they are going it because something is wrong or they are just talking.
    My daughter even knows whos baby is yelling, out of the 12 we had, she could tell them all apart. (Crazy girl)

16. lesserweevil

lesserweevil New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Isa was really easy to distinguish when she screamed. Especially as she used to scream ALL the time!!! Harmony has a really deep resonant maa, Demi is more high pitched and plaintive. And Whisper seems to more b-b-b-baaa but she doesnt cry very often.

LW