Goat.... W/lump Approx 8 months

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by randakay99, Jun 22, 2014.

1. randakay99

randakay99 Randakay99

Jun 22, 2014
    Texas
    Yesterday, I noticed a lump on the side of my goat. I attached a picture so you could see the location. I shaved around it and see no puncture wounds. It is very hard and does not move around like it is attached to something. Anyone have any ideas? She received her shots in March when I got her. Anyone have any ideas? Her behavior has not changed and she still has the same appetite. This is only the second day I have seen it.

Attached Files:

2. randakay99

randakay99 Randakay99

Jun 22, 2014
    Texas

3. randakay99

randakay99 Randakay99

Jun 22, 2014
    Texas
    Pic

Attached Files:

4. ksalvagno

ksalvagno Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Was an injection done there?

5. carrhouse

carrhouse Member

Feb 16, 2013
    Same question ... where did you give her vaccinations?

Sent from my iPhone using Goat Forum

6. happybleats

happybleats Well-Known Member

Sep 12, 2010
    Gustine Texas
    there seems to be a scar as well from another healed lump just above the current lump?
    Shot location??

7. randakay99

randakay99 Randakay99

Jun 22, 2014
    Texas
    I just talked to my friend that gave her to me. She is a vet tech. That is the location they gave her the vaccines. However, that was in late March. Would it just now be doing this?? Also, what should I do about it? Leave it alone? Take to vet?

8. ksalvagno

Since you got the goat from your vet tech friend, I would have her take a look at it. You really can't do anything until it comes to a head and is ready to burst. It can go that long. That was from injections.

9. randakay99

randakay99 Randakay99

Jun 22, 2014
    Texas
    The vet tech friend deals more with dogs at their vet, not livestock. I did send her pics and she said that's where they gave her the shot. She was more of a liaison between the goats original location and where I live. She stopped at a vet in the town the goat came from and got her shots there. (crazy story :)!) If it does come to a head, should I try and squeeze it??

10. ksalvagno

Yes you can clean it out when it is ready to burst.

11. randakay99

randakay99 Randakay99

Jun 22, 2014
    Texas
    Thank you sooooo much!!!! :-D

12. TDG-Farms

TDG-Farms Dave (TDG Farms) S.E. Washington State

Jul 12, 2013
    Thats the second most common CL location. If I was standing next to you and you asked me, Id say, yep, its CL. But test to confirm. Need a sample of the puss.

13. happybleats

happybleats Well-Known Member

Sep 12, 2010
    Gustine Texas
    hopefully its just a shot bump..however since it could be CL...you want to take great care in cleaing it..if it looses hair and become very soft in the middle you will want to put her in a place to herself..away from other goats/sheep and where its easily cleaned... catch every bit of the pus..collect some to have tested...do not let any of the pus touch your ground..
    a simple blood test can let you know at least if she has been exposed to CL..

best wishes