Goat weight tape

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by HoosierShadow, Dec 29, 2010.

1. HoosierShadow

HoosierShadow Senior Member

Apr 19, 2010
    Central Kentucky
    I know I mentioned this months ago about getting one and never did. I want to order one now, but on Jeffers all I see is the dairy goat weight tape. I'm guessing I need a different one since I have boer/boer percentages.

Any help would be appreciated as I don't want to order the wrong thing.

2. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    I don't think theres much difference with using it on Boers. I use mine on my moms goats for med doses and she has toggs and boer, when I used it on the biggest togg wether it said he weighed 180#....he's also pretty tall, I used it on her boer wether...shorter and wider and it said he weighed 225#
    It's close enough to get a weight....lol, I like my nigies as I can either hang them from a scale or just pick them up and stand on a scale for weights.

3. RunAround

RunAround New Member

Feb 17, 2008
    Massachusetts
    I hate the weight tapes. I bought one, and then threw it out. The thing was so inaccurate to me. Some people might like it, but I like to know the exact weight of the goat when dosing things like BoSe and what not.

4. HoosierShadow

Apr 19, 2010
    Central Kentucky
    Thanks! The weight tape is probably the only thing that I can use because my does range from 80lbs - 180.
    My friend has one and she measured my babies when they were born over the summer, and it seemed fairly accurate. I'd love to have a scale, but anything that gives me an idea of weight is better than just guessing. Although I do pretty well with my guesses, hehe...

5. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    I used it on my boers and it was quite a bit off...as I also weighed them.....Boers are bigger around .... I don't use them anymore... :wink:

6. HoosierShadow

Apr 19, 2010
    Central Kentucky
    Hmmm... well I wonder how else I could weigh them.... I know I could stand on a scale with babies, but not sure what to do with the big girls.

7. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    Do you have a scale house around....for trucks?

Not sure... if they will let you... weigh a goat on them or not...but... if you have a horse trailer ...you can get an empty weight ...then weigh it with your goat in it and get a weight... that way..... I would take your biggest Doe....and then... use that weight to worm ect the other Adult Goats.... just an idea...

8. GoatGirlMO

GoatGirlMO New Member

Aug 13, 2010
    I have found the dairy tape to be pretty inacurate on the Boers. To my knowledge no one makes a Boer tape.

If you have a sporting/hunting goods store nearby, take a look at the deer scales. They'll be with the field dressing stuff. You can usually pick up a hanging scale that will weigh up to 250#. Some are rather expensive... the cheapest one I found was $50. You'll need a sling. If they aren't very heavy, all you have to do is put the sling around them, hook it with the scale, and hold the scale up enough that their feet clear the ground. If they are heavier than that, I'd invest in a slider-tripod-thing. It is a tripod with hooks-- a bar slides through the loops on the sling and then you slide it up the tripod onto the hooks.

It's kind of a pain in the butt but the weights are much more accurate and easier that hauling them to the feed store or truck scales. The only thing better is a walk-on scale, and then you're talking $$$.