The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
589 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My new buckling, Steve, is the only one who is not a grain pig. He will eat the grain, but if hay or grass is nearby, he will eat that instead. His breeder fed grain (she got it delivered to her house, not sure what brand), so I know he has seen it before. Mine is a mixture of All Stock Sweetfeed (TSC home brand) and Dumor goat pellets (I'm changing over to the Dumor since mine are rather chunky). Either one does not impress him.

Has anyone else encountered this before? He is not loosing weight and he appears to be happy.

·
Super Moderator
58,910 Posts
Unless he is underweight, he should be fine without grain. I would find out exactly what was the previous owners mix and see if you can do that.

·
Registered
589 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Unless he is underweight, he should be fine without grain. I would find out exactly what was the previous owners mix and see if you can do that.
They were feeding what they called " 12%(?) with oats". They, I think, got it milled for them. I can't afford that right now.

Here's the Dumor.
http://www.tractorsupply.com/en/store/dumorreg;-goat-feed-50-lb

I want him to eat it since it has the ac and copper in it. He likes the taste, just he eats really s-l-o-w-l-y.

·
Registered
14,606 Posts
He's fine. 99% of all my 'new goats' throw a fit over the fact that what I feed is different then what they were getting. My 2cents. If food is out for them they will not starve to death ;) just give him time to get a little grain hungry.

·
14,615 Posts
Don't worry about the copper part. There's never enough of it in commercial feed to make a difference.
For growing he could use higher than 12%.
That being said if he is holding his own weight wise he'll be fine without it.

·
Registered
1 Posts
If she had discharge there's a pretty good chance she is in heat. My goats are very vocal too, so I have to look for thing like tail wagging, discharge, and them mounting each other. The only one that gives me a huge problem is my herd queen. I'm going need some buck stink to find out when she's in heat.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts