goat with a cold?

Discussion in 'Goat Management' started by meli, Aug 8, 2010.

1. meli

meli New Member

Aug 7, 2010
    just recently my goat has a snotty nose. sometimes he sneezes and caughs. its only when i walk him around and im done working on him. the first day it was clearish but today when i walked him he had a giant white snot running down his nose. i have no idea what to do, is it allergies? a cold? or just dust/dirt in his nose or a major problem? but he seems perfectly fine. he plays with his friend. when i come in the barn, he always runs up to me and always begs for his food. what do you think it is, any ideas?

2. cdtrum

cdtrum New Member

Aug 25, 2008
    Northern Indiana
    If he were mine I would get a temp on him...if he has one then I would start him on some antibiotics if he has color to the snot and it is not clear.....I would also give him some chewable Vit C's....I also give my guys childrens benydrel when they have a runny nose or cough, but first get a temp....you don't want to mask something that could be more serious.

3. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    Totally agree, get a temp on him...if it's higher than 103.5 I would start him on PenG injections for 5 days...I use the 1cc per 20 pounds doseage SQ. If the runny nose changes color as cdtrum said, it indicates that an infection is present in either the sinuses or respiratory tract. Also, if he does have a temp and you do start him on antibiotics, you'll need to give him some probiotics to help his rumen...either the Probias paste or yogurt with live active cultures.

4. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    Ditto ...what they said....let us know....what the temp is..

5. meli

meli New Member

Aug 7, 2010
    ok thanks, i will take his temp tonight
    if the temp is normal. how much benydrel would i give him?

6. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    Liquid Benadryl is best to use, makes giving it easier. 5cc for kids and 15-20cc for adults. Hope he's feeling better soon

7. meli

meli New Member

Aug 7, 2010
    thank yall so much!

8. Polarhug

Polarhug New Member

Jul 1, 2010
    Southcentral Alaska
    Another thought...

My buck started coughing a little... then it got worse and worse. It wasn't dust, or high temp, or anything else. We wormed him and it went away immediately, so I think it was lungworms - which makes them cough I guess.